Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PODS or PackRat??

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Help PODS or PackRat??

Advertisements
    Has anyone used PODS or Pack Rat for PCS?? We're moving soon and I'm looking into these since dh has to go to our duty station before me and the kids. And we'll have to store our things before we move because I'm going to live with my mom until he finds us a place to live. Are they expensive?? Any input is appreciated.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    anybody??
  3. Senior Member
    I haven't. We are just getting a storage place here while dh is on deployment and the baby and I move back home.
  4. Senior Member
    We wanted to use PODS but they quoted us $4,500 for two or $2,800 for one so we said screw that!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Rain,
    Thanks for your qoute...looks like I'll be using a moving company. Damn I'll be in credit debt for a hot while.
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

Back in the Pure Romance Business....visit my page at
    http://michellemcmullen.pureromance.com
    DONE WITH GRAD SCHOOL! TIME TO CELEBRATE! :

6. Banned
    Banned
    you can go to the PODS website- and get a free quote- but a few things I know- they will only use the large size for long distance moves- and each one holds about 3 decent size rooms

they are expensive and then on top of that you have to pay seperate for the storage.

As for hiring a moving co yourself- make sure that you get everything in writing- any contract you make the military will not enforce or get involved in- you will handle everythnig yourself, insurance pre payment conflict ect.

also you will only be reimbursed for ACTUAL weight moved- so the moving co will have to weigh the truck empty and full - and you are only allowed a certian weight based on rank and dependancy status-
    ANY COSTS over the allowable will come out of pocket, and can be claimed on your fed taxes at the end of the yr.

I have never seen a PPM done that way where the member made money- they have always lost and most people do not do moves this way.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you can go to the PODS website- and get a free quote- but a few things I know- they will only use the large size for long distance moves- and each one holds about 3 decent size rooms

they are expensive and then on top of that you have to pay seperate for the storage.

As for hiring a moving co yourself- make sure that you get everything in writing- any contract you make the military will not enforce or get involved in- you will handle everythnig yourself, insurance pre payment conflict ect.

also you will only be reimbursed for ACTUAL weight moved- so the moving co will have to weigh the truck empty and full - and you are only allowed a certian weight based on rank and dependancy status-
    ANY COSTS over the allowable will come out of pocket, and can be claimed on your fed taxes at the end of the yr.

I have never seen a PPM done that way where the member made money- they have always lost and most people do not do moves this way.
    Unfortuantely I will be doing the move expenses for my personal belongings on my own as DF is already at his PCS station. When we get married I still will not be receiving any money to move to him. So yeah I'll be spending a good 3 grand on moving expenses from Jersey to Florida. I'm hoping to receive another loan check so I can afford this...otherwise...we're starting with NOTHING but the clothes off my back and my mattress.
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Well it seems that U haul will be the way I move...total for no help to load and pack would be 1100. Found my way to Florida! I'll be driving the truck along with DF and my car will be on a dolly.
    -Me

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Wow...looks like we'll be taking a different route. Has anyone had the army pack and move for them??
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast