Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On or Off? Rent or Buy?

1. Senior Member

On or Off? Rent or Buy?

Advertisements
    I was talking with DB yesterday and he's pretty certain he'll be going to Robins AFB in Georgia. Well we're talking about getting our first place together and I just don't know what the smart way to do this is if we're going to be relocated every 3 years for quite some time? What did you do?
  2. Senior Member
    Off post. Rent. I don't really understand people who buy houses when they're just going to be leaving soon anyway.
    ~Jessie~

3. I'm so Blessed
    I'm so Blessed
    Blog Entries
    we have a house..that we bought.
  4. Senior Member
    Me~Marietta, Ga: Him~ Ft. Stewart, Ga. playin army
    Dobbins.... I live close to there it is not that bad but I paid 738.00 a month for a 1 br apt in a gated community. I know that there are cheaper places and if you need some help I will be glad to help you. Just let me know.
    ]
    Wifey to SFgirlfriend
    [/CENTER]
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We're going to be renting off post. We may buy in a couple years with the plans of renting it out when we leave that area.
  6. Senior Member
    I have no clue... DH says we'll probably try to get on base housing in the states because most the places we can go are in the middle of nowhere... I know people who buy... It puts the BAH money the military gives you into an investment... I think its only worth it if you like where you live and you can afford to pay still once you leave for a bit, but many people feel renting is throwing away money. Or rent, me personally... I hate apartment living and the houses usually are at the top of your BAH so its easier to live on base at that point.
  7. Senior Member
    Thanks for the opnions! I was kind of leaning to living off base but you're right, it would defiitely save money on base.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catpack14 View Post
    Thanks for the opnions! I was kind of leaning to living off base but you're right, it would defiitely save money on base.
    Not necessarily. Often times you can find places off base that are less money than you're getting for BAH so you can pocket the difference, so it actually saves money to live OFF. When you live on, it always costs your entire BAH.
    ~Jessie~

9. Senior Member
    We currently live on post. When we PCS, we will be living off post. I'd rather live on, just preference.

You can't get on post housing for the two of you if you aren't married. Just thought I'd add that in since I noticed you said DB
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We rent off-post, and we will continue to rent until my husband retires.. in 12 years. I won't buy a house that I don't have the option to live the rest of my life in, and I certainly won't buy one and rent it out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast