Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Overseas Change of Home Port

1. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries

Question Overseas Change of Home Port

Advertisements
    Anyone ever done one? Any tips or advice from your experience?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We did one from Guam to WA. What do you want to know?
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  3. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanchick View Post
    We did one from Guam to WA. What do you want to know?
    Well, I guess I'm confused about what the guys do when they get there, before the families move. Do they live in the barracks? Can they apply for housing before we even get there? Your dh was subs too, right? Do they leave a lot of guys behind? Or do they fly any back after the boat is settled? Or are we all on our own once they leave?

I think that's a good start.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Most guys went with the boat from Guam to WA. Some were flown over prior to the boat leaving, others after the boat left.

As far as living arrangements, the single guys had to vacate their houses (in Guam they have so many empty houses that the single guys get to share houses on base) before the boat and stayed on a barge. Same when they first got to WA. The married guys with families there had a few options. Some send their families before they left, others flew together, others left before their families. As far as housing in that situation the families could stay in their house but the AD could not move into new housing in WA until their families vacated housing in Guam. BUT since it was a change of homeport you got put on the waiting list as of the date that the new orders began.

For example, DH left before I did and first stayed with a friend. When I arrived in WA we got into housing there right away because even though I didn't get there until September we were back dated to August 1st.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  5. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks!
    So, since we own a house here and don't have anything to do with housing, technically dh could get into housing as soon as it was available there, right? Even without me being there yet? And then we'd just have to deal with the loss of BAH in the in between times, right? But for those families in housing here, it would have to be one or the other, here or there?

Quote Originally Posted by Germanchick View Post
    Most guys went with the boat from Guam to WA. Some were flown over prior to the boat leaving, others after the boat left.

As far as living arrangements, the single guys had to vacate their houses (in Guam they have so many empty houses that the single guys get to share houses on base) before the boat and stayed on a barge. Same when they first got to WA. The married guys with families there had a few options. Some send their families before they left, others flew together, others left before their families. As far as housing in that situation the families could stay in their house but the AD could not move into new housing in WA until their families vacated housing in Guam. BUT since it was a change of homeport you got put on the waiting list as of the date that the new orders began.

For example, DH left before I did and first stayed with a friend. When I arrived in WA we got into housing there right away because even though I didn't get there until September we were back dated to August 1st.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    Thanks!
    So, since we own a house here and don't have anything to do with housing, technically dh could get into housing as soon as it was available there, right? Even without me being there yet? And then we'd just have to deal with the loss of BAH in the in between times, right? But for those families in housing here, it would have to be one or the other, here or there?
    To my understanding that would be correct. You'd just have to pay out of oacket basically for the rent of the house since housing would get the BAH once he got into housing
  7. Senior Member
    I did that change of homeport from Guam to WA as well. Ed went ahead of me and the kids and lived in the barracks until we got there.

You could indeed go ahead and get situated in housing at the other end and stay in your home on the mainland. Are you guys planning on keeping it and renting it out? BTW, are you comfortable telling me which boat you are moving with? I thought you had said you guys were going to be headed back to Hawaii as well.
    Needs work.
  8. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FTCWifey View Post
    I did that change of homeport from Guam to WA as well. Ed went ahead of me and the kids and lived in the barracks until we got there.

You could indeed go ahead and get situated in housing at the other end and stay in your home on the mainland. Are you guys planning on keeping it and renting it out? BTW, are you comfortable telling me which boat you are moving with? I thought you had said you guys were going to be headed back to Hawaii as well.
    We are going to try to sell it, if we can get a realtor to do a 3 month contract with us. If it doesn't sell in 3 months, we will try to rent. I don't want to worry about a house for sale when I'm so far away. I think that would keep me up at night!