Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Base closing, change of home port

1. sadams08

Base closing, change of home port

Advertisements
    We're part of a home port change from Texas to San Diego, since our base is closing.
    Our crew has been divided up into 2 groups - those who leave the command before June of 2010 and those who leave after. The ones who leave before June 2010 (and this is us) will not have their move paid for and the sailors are considered Geo-Bachelors. We will, however recieve San Diego BAH.

One of my questions is, if you are a Geo-Bachelor are you allowed to live off base? The Senior Chief has said that they will be allowed berthing on the ship. They're currently deployed and the thought of having to continue to live on the ship is not appealing.

The other: if we're willing to pay for the move out of pocket (meaning I drive across the country and we live in a furnished apartment, while our stuff is in storage, at our base in Texas, where it is currently), would it be reasonable to expect that we'd be allowed to live together?

Thanks!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    yes you could live together if you payed for the move yourself: but here are some logistics you need to know about:
    theey will only pay for you to get to the "new" ( not san diego but after) duty station from TX to where ever. so if yu got orders to jacksonville FL you will have to fund over 1/2 of the trip yourself.
    and with this will only give travel time for you from TX to whereever.

you your DH or a designated person with specific power of attorney has to be present at the storage unit where the movers will unpack and repack everything in the storage unit.

if you decide to stay in texas- make sure they classify the orders as UNACCOMPANIED- so you can get the seperation pay - if they classify it as accompanied you will not get the sep pay.
    if he does not live on board the ship he will have to pay to live somewhere- the barracks will charge him 10-20 dollars a day.
    and if he gets an apt you will have two households to maintain.
    HTH's
  3. Junior Member
    We're part of a home port change from Texas to San Diego, since our base is closing.
    Our crew has been divided up into 2 groups - those who leave the command before June of 2010 and those who leave after. The ones who leave before June 2010 (and this is us) will not have their move paid for and the sailors are considered Geo-Bachelors. We will, however recieve San Diego BAH

Hi, my husband is stationed in Ingleside and i was just wondering what the above comment means. im new the the military life and i am confused. we will either move to san diego in june or stay at NSI. do you know which group will be going first? and when we will start to recieve san diego BAH? see im not currently in texas and im actually missing a meeting tonight about the move to san diego. any info you might have to be appreiated...im so lost Thank you
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If any of you need anything, feel free to PM me. I am also in the Ingleside area. My husband is stationed in San Diego but our kids & I live here. We are geobachelors.

Yes as a geobach, he can live on the ship or elsewhere as far as I know. DH is an E-6 & lived on the ship for the last 3 years up until last week when he moved into the barracks but that is because the ship is now inhabitable due to it decommissioning soon.

Yes y'all can live together whether you pay for the move or not.