Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in Off-Post, But Moving On-Post?

1. Senior Member

Confused Living in Off-Post, But Moving On-Post?

Advertisements
    When we First moved to this post we were placed in Private rental Housing because no On-Post housing was available at the time. Yesterday I got a call and went to the housing office and was told we are accepted for on-post housing and it will be ready for us sometime in January. DH just deployed not even a week ago, and I have booked a ticket back home for the holidays. The housing office said me leaving would be fine since our house wont be ready until i am back here anyhow, I was just wondering has anyone done the whole Off-post to on-post move before? what needs to be done etc.?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel lost doing all of this without DH
  2. Senior Member
    I went from an outside apartment to military housing if that's what you mean.
  3. Senior Member
    yeah thats what i mean
  4. Senior Member
    I've done it before. Go talk to travel and see if you qualify to have the movers come and move your stuff for you...that right there will make your life SO much easier sense they will pack your stuff and move it for you.
  5. Senior Member
    If you haven't lived on post at that post yet, the miitary will move you on base. So you go to the travel office, they tell you your movers adn they come pack you up and move you over to on post.

Y
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amazinggrace View Post
    If you haven't lived on post at that post yet, the miitary will move you on base. So you go to the travel office, they tell you your movers adn they come pack you up and move you over to on post.

Y
    I don't think that's true across the board in all branches because I know the navy won't move you just because you've never lived on base before...they won't move it unless it's 50 miles.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amazinggrace View Post

Y
    The way it's always worked for us (Army and now Air Force sense hubby is a recruiter) is they will move you in your current location once only. Like when we first moved here travel moved us. But the first house we lived in was only 3bd while we waited on a 4bd to open up, so when it did open up we had to move ourselves because travel had already moved us into the 3bd if that makes sense?

The big question, is when you all PCS'd where you are now, did you move yourselves, or did the Army move you? If you moved yourself Travel should do this move for you.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackenziesmommy View Post
    I don't think that's true across the board in all branches because I know the navy won't move you just because you've never lived on base before...they won't move it unless it's 50 miles.
    Yeah they wouldn't move us. It's because it wasn't a required move. I'm pretty sure they had a different name for it but whatever.

All you have to do is make sure you give the people proper notice that you're moving out of your current home. Housing office will set up the appointment with you to sign the lease/move in inspection all that.

I had to do it while DH was deployed so I had my POA to sign all the papers and do change the allotment.
  9. Senior Member
    thanks for all the info.
    when we PCS'd here we moved everything ourselves.
    W didn't have movers, Just friends we know around here.
    So if what you say is right they should move for us. Come to think of it on the letter I got from housing I think it said is that we are not adequately housed and this move will be at government expense.
    so i assume that they will will move us?
    what all do i have to do about that, go to transporation?
  10. Banned
    Banned
    ALL branches including the navy will move you from civilian to gov housing at thier cost.

they will only do this once unless your unit gets condemned, the base is closed due to BRAC or they are going to remodel the unit.

all you have to do is contact the TO and get the movers set up- they will come do everything just like a reg PCS move-
    if you need the Official word from the JFTR let me know and I will get it for you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast