Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time moving and can use all the help I can get! PLEASE!!!!!

1. Senior Member

Help First time moving and can use all the help I can get! PLEASE!!!!!

Advertisements
    Last edited by foxytango; 01-11-2010 at 01:13 PM.
  2. .
    SAMSET is in Drum.

If they have no space for you on post then you have to live off post. You can out your names on the list and lie off post until housing becomes available. No you aren't stupid you guys are new at this.

REMEMBER OPSEC AND PERSEC WHEN POSTING!!

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    first off your not stupid.... the military can be very confusing.

as far as living on or off of post, thats up to you. some ppl only like one or the other. we like to live offpost. once you are married you can be put on the waiting list. the waiting list is always different, it depends on how many ppl are waiting to get into housing. they can usually tell you a rough date to which you could expect to get a house.

ETA: there are ALOT of military spouses on here, so continue to ask questions if you dont understand or need help.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashwee20 View Post
    SAMSET is in Drum.

If they have no space for you on post then you have to live off post. You can out your names on the list and lie off post until housing becomes available. No you aren't stupid you guys are new at this.
    Thanks!

yeah that's what DF is saying we could do. But I'm wondering if we can't even put our names on the list until were married how will we know whether or not they don't have room and to get an apartment. Since his block leave starts in mid Dec. and ends mid Jan. We planned on having a place by the time his block leave was over so we could move and get settled during the block leave. But I have no idea how that would work. Maybe we should just get married next weekend (were only doing JP for now) so are names can be on the list and we can know before we get a place.

Would he be allowed to stay in the barracks for 1-2 weeks even if he's married? Like, a grace period?
    Does doing that sound like a better idea?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to get the very best approach.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by settles View Post
    first off your not stupid.... the military can be very confusing.

as far as living on or off of post, thats up to you. some ppl only like one or the other. we like to live offpost. once you are married you can be put on the waiting list. the waiting list is always different, it depends on how many ppl are waiting to get into housing. they can usually tell you a rough date to which you could expect to get a house.

ETA: there are ALOT of military spouses on here, so continue to ask questions if you dont understand or need help.
    Thanks.

Do you and your DH gain any extra pocket money by living off base or is it more expensive? Are utilities included on base?
    And whats the difference between off base housing and government housing?
    DF has friends that live off base but near to it in government housing. Do you need to get on the list for that?
    20 QUESTIONS! LOL
  6. Proud Marine Wifey
    Proud Marine Wifey
    I don't know anything about how the army works, but I just wanted to let you know that there are no stupid questions especially when it comes to the military! At least I don't think there are, but maybe that's because I'm a totally confused newbie too!! lol Good luck figuring everything out!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    Why the hell are tehre Christmas presents in the oven?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i don't know about army, but Df and i were planning on getting married when he got back from deployment which is 2 months before our "BIG" wedding. I wouldn't be able to move out there until may because of school so we would be getting BAH but he would be staying in the GEO bachelor barracks until i get out there.
  8. Married to a Naval Officer
    Married to a Naval Officer
    You could ask the housing office what the wait time for a one bedroom for his rank to give you an idea on the wait time. As for living in the barracks, it normally depends on the command so he can ask.

Personally, I like on-base/post housing because of the security and not having to worry about rent and basic utilities. The housing we've lived in is normally bigger than the apartments we've lived in. On the other hand, some people like the freedom when they live off-base/post and sometimes you could pocket a little bit of the BAH if you live off. It's really up to you.
  9. Married to a Naval Officer
    Married to a Naval Officer
    Thought I'd answer your questions even if they weren't towards me.

Do you and your DH gain any extra pocket money by living off base or is it more expensive?Sometimes you will, sometimes you don't. Are utilities included on base?Electricity and water/sewage/trash normally is included
    And whats the difference between off base housing and government housing?
    DF has friends that live off base but near to it in government housing. Do you need to get on the list for that?Yes, any government housing, you need to be on the list even if it is literally outside the base. We currently live in government housing off-base.

I've lived in 4 base (on and off) housing and 4 apartments so if you have any other questions, just ask away.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amdo_wife View Post
    You could ask the housing office what the wait time for a one bedroom for his rank to give you an idea on the wait time. As for living in the barracks, it normally depends on the command so he can ask.

Personally, I like on-base/post housing because of the security and not having to worry about rent and basic utilities. The housing we've lived in is normally bigger than the apartments we've lived in. On the other hand, some people like the freedom when they live off-base/post and sometimes you could pocket a little bit of the BAH if you live off. It's really up to you.
    So basically if you live on post you don't have to pay for anything but your cable and etc.

But if you live off you have to pay everything. Is your BAH guaranteed to cover all your rent and utilities or is it a may/may not situation depending on your rent and etc. ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast