Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overseas question for airforce

1. Senior Member
    me: New Orleans, LA him: Camp Lejeune, NC

overseas question for airforce

Advertisements
    so i have a question about your branch because my friend claims that its different.

background info:
    she had a boyfriend that joined the airforce. he went to bootcamp or whatever and at his grad he proposed. she said yes (even though she told us that she was going there to break up with him -- i told her not to even go or do it after). she accepts the proposal and posts the video on her myspace and w/e and acts like she is excited even tho she told all of us she didnt want it. eventually almost a week after she gets back hom she broke up with him. and started juggling him and two other guys. the airforce exbf has continued to send her money every paycheck and she has used that money to buy things for her other boys -- dont dwell on this, i know its messed up, not the point of my post tho

so anyway he got orders to japan. he came home for two weeks to visit family before he left. he knew she was messing with these other guys but wanted her to marry him anyway. when she found out he was going to japan she said yes. she thinks it will be nice to see the world (all the wrong reasons i know). so they go to the jp. get married. and he leaves the next day for japan.

i know that in navy you have to be an e-4 before a spouse can move overseas with you. dh even told me once that you had to be married before you got the orders in order for them to pay. i think thats what he said anyway.

when i told my friend this she said that the airforce is different. she thinks that she is gonna have this great kush life in the military and she doesnt understand how its not exactly a perfect lifestyle that people are dying to sign up for.

so i guess my question is this. even tho he is almost straight out of bootcamp and not that high in rank and they only got married the day before he moved will the airforce still pay for her to move up there? is it really that different from the navy? im just asking for my own curiousity because they have said things before that havent been the case and i just think its strange so im just wondering thanks.
  2. So there i was ..........
    So there i was ..........
    Blog Entries
    well mc wise she would not be able to go but i am not af and she sounds like a real trip

3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    it depends on a multitude of factors. Even in the navy you could get command sponsorship and be allowed to take your spouse overseas before being an E-4. If they have a need for him and they want to adjust his orders they can. The thing is he needs to get all that in order before she can move there. chances are she won't get to move with him considering she needs an overseas screening and all that. Plus her passport.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    it depends on a multitude of factors. Even in the navy you could get command sponsorship and be allowed to take your spouse overseas before being an E-4. If they have a need for him and they want to adjust his orders they can. The thing is he needs to get all that in order before she can move there. chances are she won't get to move with him considering she needs an overseas screening and all that. Plus her passport.
    well she claims that he has applied for base housing and that she is going in february. i asked her what if base housing isnt ready in feb? she said she can live in his dorm or whatever its called until its ready. which im pretty sure you cant do that right? i mean he has barely been up there so i dont know how they could have all that ready to go so quickly since the wedding was impromptu and all.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angelalynn28 View Post
    well she claims that he has applied for base housing and that she is going in february. i asked her what if base housing isnt ready in feb? she said she can live in his dorm or whatever its called until its ready. which im pretty sure you cant do that right?
    Taking a wild guess here but I would say that's a big hell no to living in the dorm with him before housing is done.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid's Girl View Post
    Taking a wild guess here but I would say that's a big hell no to living in the dorm with him before housing is done.
    i mean thats what i would figure but its like every time i try to say something i always hear the same thing "well this is airforce so its different"
  7. So there i was ..........
    Blog Entries
    they having something called a JRC that in extreme circumstances people can live in

8. So there i was ..........
    Blog Entries
    BUT I MEAN EXTREME

9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    well she claims that he has applied for base housing and that she is going in february. i asked her what if base housing isnt ready in feb? she said she can live in his dorm or whatever its called until its ready. which im pretty sure you cant do that right? i mean he has barely been up there so i dont know how they could have all that ready to go so quickly since the wedding was impromptu and all.
    if they aren't married then she is talking out of her ass. and technically you can't apply for housing until you get there, and if he had no dependents then yeah thats a big fat Not gonna happen.

Japan has a huge wait list. Hardly anyone gets in right away. When my aunt and uncle moved they had to live out in town for 18 months before housing became available ( and he was a WO at the time....)

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

10. Epic
    Epic

so i guess my question is this. even tho he is almost straight out of bootcamp and not that high in rank and they only got married the day before he moved will the airforce still pay for her to move up there? is it really that different from the navy? im just asking for my own curiousity because they have said things before that havent been the case and i just think its strange so im just wondering thanks.
    The short answer is yes, she can move to Japan on the Air Force's dime and from what I have read in this post, it is different from the Navy.

In the Air Force the only time rank really has anything to do with getting an accompanied tour is when the Military Member is trying to change an unaccompanied remote to an accompanied remote. The higher rank you are the better chance you have of that happening. Since 99.9% of the Air Force tours in Japan can be accompanied she shouldn't have a problem getting there as long as she can pass the medical and dental screaning.

A more elaborate answer is that there are some things that need to be taken care of first. First he will have to get his orders ammended to state accompanied. Second, the Air Force might not pay for her HHG's to be shipped if he got his orders ammended AFTER he got to Japan but like everything else there are ways around it. If he hasn't used his home of record move yet then he can use to and have her things sent to Japan along with his.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast