Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Furniture and appliances??

1. Mrs Brown

Confused Furniture and appliances??

Advertisements
    A couple i know who she is air force and he is a marine have an apartment in Japan out in town and the air force supplied them with all the appliances and furniture they needed for the apartment. Am I hoping for too much that the marines do that too? DH and I won't have much furniture at all when we get there since it will be our first home together. like we have a futon to use as a couch and a bed lol and a kitchen table and a rocking chair thats it. and i noticed that most of the rentals in Jacksonville NC don't have washer and dryers. i just wanna know how much like bums we are going to be living.

i posted this one in the location area too...
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    AFAIK, the military doesn't supply you with furniture. DH and I have absolutely no furniture. We plan on getting everything from Ikea.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed

You can also look at Thrift Stores, yard sales & Craigslist
  4. Mrs Brown
    I really hate that the air force treats their people better than the marines. my poor husband and his friends actually will go and eat on the air force base because their chow hall sucks so bad. And i think its ridiculous that they give them furniture and washer and dryer and no one else does that. I don't have anything against the air force i just wish the marines had more money lol.
  5. Senior Member
    When I was a kid my dad was stationed in Germany and we got into a fully furnished apartment on base(but it wasn't for the full time there, eventually we got our stuff from the US) but it was Temporary Living quarters.., but then again that was in the early 1980's and my dad was Air Force... I know the Navy have Temporary living quarters too.. we are staying in one up in Great Lakes when we PCS in DEC.

When Dh and I first got married all we had was a 19inch TV, an air mattress and some pillows. And now 5 years later we have a whole house full and to much stuff.

You can rent a washer and dryer from your appt complex... we didn't get our own washer and dryer till we where married for 3 years and bought a house.
  6. Missing Him So Much!
    Missing Him So Much!
    I've never heard of any of the Armed Forces to just give away appliances and furniture. I've only had a refridgerator and stove/oven automatically, some places have dishwashers and some don't.

The only place we "lived" in that were furnished was the the Temporary Lodging and that's normal.

They may have just gotten lucky. I know we've had to buy everything else we have.
    "I f*ckin hate you, I f*ckin hate you, I f*ckin hate you QP, QP, QP!"

~what Buckwheat would really say~
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    For overseas orders they WILL supply furniture etc. The Navy did when we were in Guam. I would assume that the Marines do the same. Stateside they will not help you furnish your place
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  8. Senior Member
    The AF does give you appliances when you're stationed overseas. And some furniture if you need it. I haven't ever heard of them supplying a house full of furniture though. Like in Germany you can get wardrobes because many German homes don't have closets. They give you temporary furniture when you arrive, to hold you over until your shipment comes. They said sometimes they let people keep beds and couches for the entire time they're here but it doesn't happen all the time. I don't know about other branches.

We had nearly nothing when we first moved in together. Everything we had was handed down to us. It's been a slow process of purchasing pieces for our home.
  9. Mrs Brown
    I hope i didn't come across like a jerk with my other post. just getting frustrated with move stuff and expenses. And DH is NOO help at all with this stuff since he is not here he kinda forgets who gets to deal with it all. he thinks everything will just be all fine and in place when he gets home. Thanks for the help at least i know what to expect and am not counting on something like that. i'm not all that familiar with the way things work. we've been married 2 years but separated the whole time.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Brown View Post
    I hope i didn't come across like a jerk with my other post. just getting frustrated with move stuff and expenses. And DH is NOO help at all with this stuff since he is not here he kinda forgets who gets to deal with it all. he thinks everything will just be all fine and in place when he gets home. Thanks for the help at least i know what to expect and am not counting on something like that. i'm not all that familiar with the way things work. we've been married 2 years but separated the whole time.
    Will you be stateside or OCONUS?
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast