Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Ft. Lewis WA! *woot*

1. Noob
    Noob

Jump for Joy Ft. Lewis WA! *woot*

Advertisements
    we are stoked! heading that way in early March so ANY info you all could give us would be great.

we have heard to try and live on-post due to traffic and some seedy neighborhoods. but i wanted someones opinion who is there currently. could you give us a list of towns that would be nice and pet friendly? i also have 4 kids so we need some room and good schools...

ANYTHING you can think of will help. We will be coming there from South Korea.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Lacey is a nicer area than Lakewood, particularly, I've heard, if you have kids. So if you're going to live off post, try for Lacey. It's a bit more expensive, but worth it. We live on post, and love it. Housing is nice (although I have nothing to compare to) but I have no idea about the school system. DH likes living on post because he doesn't have to deal with traffic on I5, which can get pretty bad. Good luck!
  3. Noob
    Noob
    we have heard to try and get on post b/c of the traffic mainly. and for sure not to live in lakewood. is it dangerous or just seedy?

is it hard to get on post housing, do you now what the waiting list is like?
  4. Senior Member
    I live in Lacey. In rush hour it takes DH maybe 20-25 mins to get home compared to the normal 15mins it usually takes. But its not like that everyday. Its alot better driving South then it is going North. It is a little pricey but its really nice and all shopping is mins away.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We live in Lacey and we love it here. It is a little further from post than most towns, about 14 miles where we are. But, it's worth the drive. We have one school-age child and I love the schools here. We live in a beautiful, quiet neighborhood, and the surrounding area is great. We are really close to shopping and food in Olympia. It takes my husband about 20 minutes to get to work, and about the same to get home, give or take a few. We always heard great things about Lacey before moving here, and I am glad we are now living here.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I miss my home state!!!
  7. suckin it up & drivin on
    suckin it up & drivin on
    We just left there in August. Lacey is nice , lived there until housing was available. We also lived on post for the last 6mo we were there. Lots of new housing on post and most has been totally remodeled.We have 3 kids. Had a great house on post and the kids had tons of friends to play with. If you're going in March, you'll be getting there toward the end of the rainy season (it's only 7 to 8 mo long) Buy your kids lots of hoodys.
    Proud Army Wife of 2LT Parker
    Proud Mom of 3-Chris, Abbey, and Jordan
  8. BJo
    Banned
    Banned
    We live near Puyallup and really like it.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    I live in North Tacoma, near the waterfront. My nieghborhood is the Proctor District, and it is a very pretty, safe, family friendly part of town. It takes about 15-20 minutes for DH to get to work. You should google this area cause its really nice, and there are a lot of things around to do. Its also got a college right here (University of Puget Sound) which is pretty and also makes it safer.

It depends if you want more rural or to be in the city. If you want more rural, go for Lacey. More in the city, look in Proctor District or North Tacoma. There are a lot of big old houses for rent in this neighborhood too for not very expensive. Good luck!