Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiteman

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Whiteman

Advertisements
    Anyone at Whitman AFB in Missouri? Can you let me know what it is like there? We are thinking about putting it on our dream sheet but I don't know if I would like the humidity and all those people!

"Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  2. Senior Member
    I'm not sure what you mean by "all those people". Whiteman isn't exactly located in an urban area. Maybe you're referencing something else?

As for the humidity, it's hard to tell you how you'd like it. I'm originally from Missouri and we lived about an hour or so from Whiteman at our last duty station. I don't know what life is like without humidity However, I can tell you that we are living in GA right now and quite often the humidity in SE Missouri is worse than that here in the South.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    "all those people" too many people. I'm not use to be in a town more then 50,000. We were told it was close to St. Louis. Didn't know if that was true or not. Too many people...make me nervious.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Senior Member
    Oh, goodness...someone told you wrong. Pull up google maps and plug in Whiteman AFB. Someone must have been thinking of Scott Air Force Base. Whiteman is in rural Missouri. Kansas City isn't too terribly far away (maybe 1hr-ish), but Knob Noster has a population of like 3000 people. Sedalia is the other town right next to it, which is a bit larger (maybe 20,000 or so).

If you don't like lots of people....then you'll probably love it at Whiteman!
  5. Senior Member
    Whiteman isn't very big and the surrounding towns are very small. I grew up in Kansas City (45 minutes west) and my family lives in Sedalia (about 25 minutes east of Whiteman). It is a pretty quiet community. I have been on the base a few times and it seemed nice.

As for the humidity, yes it does get hot and humid in Missouri in the summer but it really isn't too bad. If you have any questions about the area feel free to send a PM.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I am just curious about the area and such. What is base like? Is there snow for christmas?
  7. Senior Member
    I really don't know much about the base. The area is a very small town atmosphere. It has a rural feeling. There are many farms surrounding the base. I would say it is quiet and peaceful. The nice thing is if you want a big city atmosphere you only have to drive an hour west to Kansas City.

As for Christmas, every year there is a chance for snow. We start getting snow late November/early December.
  8. airforcewife2008

knob noster MO

My husband put Whiteman AFB in his wish list and now we are going to MO for 6 yrs ( as long as there are no transfers or complications) i just wanted to kniow if anyone knows anything about Knob Noster, MO? I am from Louisana and i was raised in Oklahoma so i am used to majorly changing temps.
    i am newly married w/ no kids.. I am 19 yrs old and if anyone has any advice for me that would really help. thanx

airforcewife2008
  9. Noob
    Noob
    Missouri is a beautiful state. It is where we are from. KC has some great things to do there. I dont know much about the AFB but our state itself has a lot to do and is a great place for families. good luck with your move!
  10. Senior Member
    Only part of MO I ever saw was when I drove to FLW from TN to pick up DH from basic training. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah...after St. Louis (this was at night), all I remember were rocks and trees. Especially the area around FLW.

Oh, and this was in October of that year. It was COLD, for my cat-like self. Also, the temperatures change dramatically during the season changes in Fall and Spring.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast