Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: TDY?

1. Senior Member

Confused TDY?

Advertisements
    How long does a TDY usually last? Whats the longest you've had one last?

One of my friends that's a.f. said that Hazard pay translates to "We're sorry this place sucks have some more money"... is that true? or does it really mean that they're in greater danger?

I just don't like the sounds of this all.

If you are feeling frightened about what comes next, don't be. Embrace the uncertainty. Allow it to lead you places. Be brave as it challenges you to exercise both your heart and your mind as you create your own path towards happiness, don't waste time with regret. Spin wildly into your next action. Enjoy the present, each moment, as it comes; because you'll never get another one quite like it. And if you should ever look up and find yourself lost, simply take a breath and start over. Retrace your steps and go back to the purest place in your heart where your hope lives. You'll find your way again.

2. Banned
    Banned
    TDYs can last from 2 weeks to a year. Hazard pay means there are hazards where they are, be it working around chemicals to being mortared.
  3. Senior Member
    my husband was TDY for about 18 months total when we broke it down and figured out the real dates. I'm told that is very unusual!! That was from start to finish with no "Permanent duty station". He was literally living out of a suitcase and then of course met me, and I followed him TDY to Texas and Washington with nothing but what we could take in the car, while everything else was in storage.

Hazard pay I'm told is for when the situation is more dangerous due to hazards in the area.
  4. I'm living my life like it's golden!
    I'm living my life like it's golden!
    The longest TDY we've experiened was 3 weeks, but it only happened 1 time in the last few years!
    Usually the TDY's would be about 1 week or 2 weeks!
    But I think it pretty much depends on what the job's and what the mission's about!
    And contact between us or how often we're able to be in contact also depends on those things, too, cause each and every TDY for us's different!
    I can't tell you too much about this stuff when it comes to TDY's, cause due to the regulations, everything being TS, I don't know much about it!
    The very few things I do know, I just shared with you!
    Lol.
    Not really a lot I know!
    But assuming about the hazard pay it means they're dealing with chemicals, nuclear stuff and more dangerous areas though!
    Regards and much love!
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

my DH has been on TDY's for 3 days and some for 3 weeks, I know of some that have been a almost a month. I think they prefer to keep the tyd's short because you can claim sepperation allowence if it is 30 days or longer and you're married. The length really depends on what the are there to do and how long it takes them to do it. We have had tdy's extended and some shortened.
    Hazard pay is for if they work with chemicals or in a hazadous area.

6. Senior Member
    here is my opinion=

thanks ladies..

If you are feeling frightened about what comes next, don't be. Embrace the uncertainty. Allow it to lead you places. Be brave as it challenges you to exercise both your heart and your mind as you create your own path towards happiness, don't waste time with regret. Spin wildly into your next action. Enjoy the present, each moment, as it comes; because you'll never get another one quite like it. And if you should ever look up and find yourself lost, simply take a breath and start over. Retrace your steps and go back to the purest place in your heart where your hope lives. You'll find your way again.

7. Senior Member
    My husband's longest TDY was 12 months and he did get extra pay because of the conditions. His shortest TDY was two days. I liked when he went TDY back in the states because I would go with him. It was like a mini-vacation (I had to pay my way, gas, hotel, etc)
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I just asked DH about hazard pay for AF and he said it is for being in the combat zone and has nothing to do with chemicals. Just working in hazardous areas where you can get hurt. Hope that helps