Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living In Boston,Mass. Any Tips?

1. simply_sweetx0
    simply_sweetx0

Living In Boston,Mass. Any Tips?

Advertisements
    Hey,

DF got orders to Mass. We will be there sometime in March of next year. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions such as base housing vs. off base housing? Just about the Boston area in general. I have never been to Mass.
    What is the weather like ? Is it cheaper to live on base vs. off base?

Any suggestions that anyone would have about living in Mass. ??

TIA
  2. Epic
    Epic

I assume he got orders to Hanscom? If so, Hanscom isn't actually in Boston, it is right outside of it. If you don't mind me asking, what rank is your DF? If he is on the lower ranking side I suggest living on base. Massachusetts is a very expensive place to live and a lot of people that are stationed at Hanscom actually live in NH because housing is cheaper and there is no state tax. It isn't uncommon for a 3 bedroom house, that is on the small side, right outside of Boston to cost around $1,000,000.

Massachusetts is an amazing place. You will have all 4 seasons. The winters are cold and very snowy, the springs are cool and beautiful, the summers can be hot but aren't too humid and the falls are breathtaking. People from all over the world come to New England to see the leaves changing. You are close to the mountains of NH and only abotu 1.5-2 hours from Cape Cod, depending on where on the cape you want to go.

Do you like history? If so, Boston, and Massachusetts in general, is full of it! In Boston you have the Freedom Train, the Old North Church, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, Boston Common, Duck Tours, just all kinds of things to do. Then there is Plymouth, which is one of my favourite places ever, Lexington/Concord. The list goes on and on with things to do in MA.
  3. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    um make sure that you have updated temperature gauges and pumps for you cars. My brother and I were just talking about it. Cars are built with a lining in the tube for the transmission fluid. The lining stays active when the transmission fluid is still cold, it only retracts once the fluid reaches a certain temperature. This helps because you dont want to send freezing transmission fluid in to a heated up engine, you will crack it. And then you will have to buy a new engine, no fun. You will definitely need to make sure you have this lining in your pumps in boston, because it gets below freezing really often and this can happen in a millisecond, and leave you stranded.

Other than that, I know that Patriot fans there are pretty merciless and mean. So watch out on sundays!!
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I don't know much about off-base vs. on-base, but if you're going to be in massachusetts I am quite jealous. New England is gorgeous (i'm from CT...now in DE...), but I hope you like snow because you'll be getting plenty. and if you are near/in Boston you will never be bored. There is always something to do and the T will become your best friend.
  5. Moving to Okinawa...so excited!!!
    Moving to Okinawa...so excited!!!
    I lived in Mass for three years but at Westover in Chicopee. The cost of living in Mass is higher than any other place I have ever lived. The cost of housing is expensive so I would suggest living in base housing. I am pretty sure that they just rebuilt alot of Hanscoms housing.
    The weather in Mass is nice in the summer, but freezing in the winter. Hope you like snow. The fall is beautiful with the leaves changing colors.
    The comissary and the exchange are really nice too. In general it is a pretty nice area. If you like history you will definitely be in your element. The freedom trail was fun to do.
  6. So there i was ..........
    So there i was ..........
    Blog Entries
    that is only 50 mins away for me we live in maine!! ok i dunno anything about the bases in mass but some of my family lives there lol

7. Senior Member
    Oh my gosh! I don't know, but Boston is my favorite city in the U.S. (So far.) If I was staying in the states, I would definitely want to be there. I'm sure it's expensive, but make sure to have fun!!! The "T" is SUPER easy to use and pretty cheap IMO. Take a walking tour in Cambridge and go to the Museum of Fine Arts! See a Redsox game!

OK, I'll let you read the people that will actually help you now.
  8. simply_sweetx0
    simply_sweetx0
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I really am into history, so I guess we got lucky
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coloradokitkat View Post
    um make sure that you have updated temperature gauges and pumps for you cars. My brother and I were just talking about it. Cars are built with a lining in the tube for the transmission fluid. The lining stays active when the transmission fluid is still cold, it only retracts once the fluid reaches a certain temperature. This helps because you dont want to send freezing transmission fluid in to a heated up engine, you will crack it. And then you will have to buy a new engine, no fun. You will definitely need to make sure you have this lining in your pumps in boston, because it gets below freezing really often and this can happen in a millisecond, and leave you stranded.

Other than that, I know that Patriot fans there are pretty merciless and mean. So watch out on sundays!!

???

i'm a car chick who grew up in the freezing cold north & i have no clue what you are talking about here. op just needs to make sure her car battery has enuf cold cranking amps & that her coolant is up to snuff so her radiator doesn't freeze up.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Everett, WA Like New Jersey, only no cool mobsters or sunshine!
    Don't talk about Yale.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast