Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: cost of living in NC

1. forever & always
    forever & always
    Blog Entries

Help cost of living in NC

Advertisements
    hey, do any of you know what the approximate cost of living is in the jacksonville area? DF just found out he will be stationed at lejeune, we are getting married in december and then ill be moving down there with him asap.

it will just be us two [no kids or pets], and will be our first time really living on our own. so naturally im a little nervous, but VERY excited to start my life with him he's just finishing up his SOI training now. and i want to be sure we'll be able to make ends meet. [i plan on getting a job once there, but i know that always takes awhile] im working on putting together a budget right now and could really use some input
    TIA
    we survived deployment #1

we have been married since 12.28.09

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I've noticed that food is more expensive here(I'm paying roughly twice as much for the same groceries as I was paying in TX) and rent is outrageous(live in housing if you can)but everything else is pretty much the national average. You'll only be a few hours from me so I assume it is pretty close
  3. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    WOOHOO! So you DID get Lejeune! You better come visit me Ummm...ily.mmw lives off of base at Lejeune. She'd be a peach to help ya with how it is down there
  4. forever & always
    forever & always
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    I've noticed that food is more expensive here(I'm paying roughly twice as much for the same groceries as I was paying in TX) and rent is outrageous(live in housing if you can)but everything else is pretty much the national average. You'll only be a few hours from me so I assume it is pretty close
    thanks love
    yeah ive heard food is pretty expensive there..
    good thing i dont eat much
    we're going to apply for on base housing, but i also heard that the waiting list is RIDICULOUSLY long. but the BAH should be enough to just about cover rent for a like one bedroom apartment shouldnt it?

im totally coming to visit you btw
    and by visit you, i mean play with your kids

5. forever & always
    forever & always
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by devilwhiterose View Post
    WOOHOO! So you DID get Lejeune! You better come visit me Ummm...ily.mmw lives off of base at Lejeune. She'd be a peach to help ya with how it is down there
    ill visit for sure!!
    and thanks..ill go hunt her down

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey<3jimmy View Post
    thanks love
    yeah ive heard food is pretty expensive there..
    good thing i dont eat much
    we're going to apply for on base housing, but i also heard that the waiting list is RIDICULOUSLY long. but the BAH should be enough to just about cover rent for a like one bedroom apartment shouldnt it?

im totally coming to visit you btw
    and by visit you, i mean play with your kids
    Our BAH didn't cover everything, utilities are pretty insane, too. We had a two bedroom apartment, though so maybe a very small one bedroom would be better If your husband will be a higher rank then it would be easier, too I'm sure.

Come by anytime! Just call ahead so I can have tea made and stuff
  7. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Our BAH didn't cover everything, utilities are pretty insane, too. We had a two bedroom apartment, though so maybe a very small one bedroom would be better If your husband will be a higher rank then it would be easier, too I'm sure.

Are yours really? I live an hour from you and I only pay 25 for water. 75 for electrical... My rent is alot because I have a humongazoid place but...bills aren't too bad for me. I know when I was looking for apts down there...they ranged from 525-725+

Oh...and car insurance (at least for me...from Wisconsin) is 5x cheaper. Groceries are a little bit more nutso. Thank god for coupons.
  8. LOVING MY DEVILDOG
    LOVING MY DEVILDOG
    ME OUTER BANKS /TRAINING FOR ANOTHER DEPLOY
    My brother in law lives there and we are hoping to get stationed there when DH gets home in -- days days i can count on 2 hands 1 foot wooohooooooooooooooooo anyway things are pretty high down there not as rough as here on the OUTER Banks tho good luck!
  9. forever & always
    forever & always
    Blog Entries

all we really need is a small one bedroom. and we know a few other couples that will be down there and in the same spot financially as us, so if it looks like it will be too much of a stress we may just get a two bedroom and share it with them until we make enough to get by on our own..not the ideal situation..but definitely better than not being able to live down there at all..he's just starting out so he'll only be like an E-2.

oh for sure!! you will have to PM me your number before i move down there though because i dont believe i have it

ahh im sooo excited i can hardly wait!

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by devilwhiterose View Post
    Are yours really? I live an hour from you and I only pay 25 for water. 75 for electrical... My rent is alot because I have a humongazoid place but...bills aren't too bad for me. I know when I was looking for apts down there...they ranged from 525-725+

Oh...and car insurance (at least for me...from Wisconsin) is 5x cheaper. Groceries are a little bit more nutso. Thank god for coupons.

Yeah..in July our utility bill was $350! Most of that was water usage!

Car insurance is way cheaper here, though, yup
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast