Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharing a home with another married couple

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Sharing a home with another married couple

Advertisements
    So, here's the situation. BAH here is REALLY high, but we still can't save any of it because the housing in the area is so expensive that military housing is far larger than we could get on the economy. I realize that being able to put away any amount of BAH is a privilege, not a right, but we've been trying to find a way.

So. We're considering moving in with another married couple out in town.

The Pros: It would put us within half a mile of DLI, so the guys could walk to work, which would save us over $250 a month on gas alone. We would be able to combine our internet and cable and eradicate our home phone bills because our cell phones would actually have service in town (we're in a dead zone here). The house we've found is a little over $1000 less than our combined BAH. The other wife and I could work part-time jobs with opposing hours, because we could provide in-home child care for each other's babies. They're at our house fourish nights a week for dinner anyway, so now we could actually share the grocery bill. My husband and I could take a couple of classes together because of the opportunity to trade off childcare.

The Cons: Living with another family could be hard- we could step on each other's toes a lot. We currently each have a three-bedroom house, and the house in town is also a three-bedroom house, so we would be cutting our space in half. Their baby hasn't been born yet, so we would "get" to live with a newborn again.

Questions:

It would only be for a year- do you think we could handle it, and if so do you think it would be worth the extra money we could put aside?

Do you know if the military allows married couples to live together?

Can you think of any pros or cons I might have left out?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    So you're basically thinking of a co-op, a commune of sorts.

For me, the hardest thing would be just being in each other's way all the time. I think there'd have to be some rules, and then some things that are flexible. They say you really don't get to know someone until you live with them.....

If you think you can handle it for a year, go for it. I don't think there is a question of legality as far as collecting BAH; the amount you collect is rank-based, not rent-based.

You really should sit down as a foursome and come up with ALL the expenses. Right now they're eating at your house but not buying groceries; surely you don't expect that to continue, so they'll need to be made aware of the cost of groecries. I think you need to itemize out everything so there are no assumptions- are you sure the guys will walk, or does someone think the guys will have one vehicle and the girls will have the other one? If you split the cable bill, how will you settle disagreements about what to watch? Same for internet- who gets to use the computer, when, and for how long?

Off the top of my head, I think you'd be saving about a grand a month. that's nothing to sneeze at, and if you think you can come out of this with $12K in the bank after a year, that's enough to make anyone think about making the adjustments.

Funny- I was joking this morning with a coworker, talking about what would happen if school employees had to take a 20% pay cut. She said she'd be on the street and I told her she'd have to come live with me to pay rent and make up the difference in our bills! So what you're talking about may not be a bad plan, especially if the economy continues to tank.
  3. Senior Member
    It kind of makes me thing about that TV show where the two sisters and there two husbands all lived together (one sister and her husband lived in a guest house, but were always at the other house...I think there was only one kitchen) I can't think of the name of that show... You'll def. have to set up rules as far as who cleans what part of the house and who cooks when and what not. But it sounds like the pro's out way the con's by a lot!! If anything, at least you guys could save some money just for a few months and then if it gets to be to much, take that saved money and find another place. Good luck!!
    LOVIN' MY LIFE AS A MOM AND A WIFE!
  4. Senior Member
    I think it seems like a good idea, and it's only for a year. I'd say take a chance.

5. Banned
    Banned
    Ugh Hell no. It will not work. Married people need to have their own living space.

If you do it anyway and vent a lot I will put you on ignore.

How much longer is he supposed to be at DLI? Isn't it usually just a year and you're off to somewhere else?
  6. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilbear911 View Post
    It kind of makes me thing about that TV show where the two sisters and there two husbands all lived together (one sister and her husband lived in a guest house, but were always at the other house...I think there was only one kitchen) I can't think of the name of that show... You'll def. have to set up rules as far as who cleans what part of the house and who cooks when and what not. But it sounds like the pro's out way the con's by a lot!! If anything, at least you guys could save some money just for a few months and then if it gets to be to much, take that saved money and find another place. Good luck!!
    wasn't it called "Yes, Dear"?

i had a friend do a co-op with another military couple for a year. they were able to save alot of money and help each other. sometimes it might've gotten annoying, but over all they had a great time.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  7. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I couldn't do it, but more power to you if you can, and can save $$ too!

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

8. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    Keep in mind if the other couple is also military, they may take some of the BAH away....

My little Loves!
  9. Senior Member
    I would do it. But I could stand pretty much any living situation to save some money.
    Needs work.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    wasn't it called "Yes, Dear"?

i had a friend do a co-op with another military couple for a year. they were able to save alot of money and help each other. sometimes it might've gotten annoying, but over all they had a great time.

Yup! That's the one! Thanks!
    LOVIN' MY LIFE AS A MOM AND A WIFE!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast