Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POA - need some help and info please

1. I'm living my life like it's golden!
    I'm living my life like it's golden!

POA - need some help and info please

Advertisements
    My man and I're on different sides about this topics and I'm not sure if I'm better informed about the whole POA thing or if he's right!
    He believes a general POA for everything'll be enough for me when he leaves for his remote/short tour while the kids and I stay here, but I'm thinking and somewhat believing it won't be!
    I've read and hear a couple of times already there're different POA's for all kind of things when the sponsor's pcsing or going away while the family remains at the current location!
    To discuss this further more with him won't get anywhere since there're a few things which he thought and believed he was right about, but turned out to be that I on the other side was and he had either no info about it or the wrong 1!
    I don't want to be surprised or experience anything stupid in order due to the POA/POA's and neither do I want to find out the general POA's not enough for me to've while he's gone!
    So please who can help me with this and give me all the info out there I need/we need to know?
    Thanks in advance for the replies and for "educating" me/us on this!
    Regards and much love!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Any time DH has deployed, he always gets me a General POA & a specific one for taxes. Those are the only ones I have ever needed except when our house briefly went on the market last year. I did need a specific one for that as well.

Honestly those are the only 3 that I can think of that I have ever needed.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  3. Senior Member
    DH gives me a general POA when he deploys. And then I get special POA's for banking (even tho we have the same account), To do taxes if he he's away and one for housing.

When he was deployed earlier this year I bought a car and that was a PITA with a general. it wasnt enough so the dealership had to send the paperwork to iraq for him to sign which took almost a month for some reason. He got them right b4 he came home for R&R so he brought them back and signed em in the office.
  4. Senior Member
    As far as I know a general POA will take care of MOST, but not ALL things. I needed a special POA from my hubby to do things with his bank account (deposit checks from wedding gifts that were made out to him) so keep that in mind. I would personally go through all of the companies that you use and either guarantee they will accept the general POA or get one done before he goes. You can never have too many, right? I was looking for the info I used to have on this but can't find it. Your JAG or legal office on base should have some information for you though. good luck!
  5. Senior Member
    I would suggest not only the general, but also special for at least housing. I didn't have one for housing and needed it while DH was in Iraq, so that was kinda stressful trying to get it. Oh and finances would be a good one to get too. I have one for our car because only his name is on it too.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    A well written general one should be suitable for everything. Don't forget that in a general power of attorney, you can include many specific transactions as well, including taxes, housing, banking etc.
    Unless you are planning on buying a house and taking out a mortgage while he is gone, you should not need lots of specific ones.
    You also need to decide whether it will be durable or not. If it is not durable, then if he ever becomes incapacitaed, the POA becomes void.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and don't forget about living wills and medical decision making, which should be separate documents.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    you should always have more than a general.

we have the general, a specific for finance, a specific for his car, taxes etc.

Living Wills are VERY important for everyone.

Also an in loco parentis is important for your kids. If something happens to you while he's gone some states will put the kids into their custody until a legal guardian comes along. Many years ago in Hawaii a woman had a horrible asthma attack and her husband was deployed with mine. They had made no provisions for her daughter and she became a ward of the state. It took her husband MONTHS to get his daughter out of state custody.

It's very important to have all legal paperwork taken care of and if your spouse thinks it's overkill it might be, but wouldn't you rather have all bases covered just in case??
  9. Senior Member
    consult an attorney on base in the legal department. based on your discussion with the lawyer, you may or may not need something more than a general POA.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    A well written general one should be suitable for everything. Don't forget that in a general power of attorney, you can include many specific transactions as well, including taxes, housing, banking etc.
    Unless you are planning on buying a house and taking out a mortgage while he is gone, you should not need lots of specific ones.
    You also need to decide whether it will be durable or not. If it is not durable, then if he ever becomes incapacitaed, the POA becomes void.
    Even if you make it specific, many companies will still not accept it. We had to call all the companies that we paid money to (house, cell phone etc) and see what their rules were. Several of them said they had their own POA and they would only accept that. Make sure he has called and told them that you are able to do ANYTHING with the account, even if he is the primary.

The first deployment we had trouble with our cells, car insurance, electric and gas bill and something else that I can't remember and I always got the standard "You are not primary on this account" or "Your name is not on this account" "We will not accept your POA to do anything. We are willing to send/fax you our POA. Have hi fill it out and send it to us and then we can talk to you"

Save yourself the headache and call each of them and find out their rules and have him take care of it before he leaves.

ETA Federal taxes have their own POA and won't accept general. State taxes vary.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast