Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping a move organized

1. Senior Member

keeping a move organized

Advertisements
    Anyone have any tips?

DH FINALLY got his paper orders yesterday so now it's time to get the ball rolling. Our last move was the pcs from hell so any tips and advice to make it easier would be great. TIA
  2. Banned
    Banned
    get a binder with pocket folders- or a expandable file- label each section: reciepts, TMO, reservations, location research info and things to do. start lists regarding everything: turn off electric, put in change of address, call cell phone to ensure coverage,,
    write everything down- reservation confirmation numbers- housing ,schools ect. you will have this the entire PCS so you can hand carry it- you can also use this for important papers you need to hand carry.

HTH's
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    This is my first PCS so I need all the tips I can get.
  4. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Definitely what gunsgirl said about keeping everything organized and writing everything down! Your mind is going a mile a minute so you'll forget.

For the move...throw away as much crap as you can. I love moving...it's like a refresher for my house to toss stuff.

Bundle stuff up in boxes and (tupperware containers rock if you can afford them) sort things so that you have the essentials in one box, ready for access if necessary. Quit eating out and use up most of the stuff in your fridge as possible.

If you're short on cash, you can go to Walmart or a grocery store at night when they're restocking and ask them if they have any boxes. I did this a few years back when I was moving and they happily gave them to me for free. All they do is break em down and toss them.

Handle all your loose ends with bills and whatnot now. That way you don't have to remember to pay something while you're in the middle of moving...it's a pain in the ass to scramble finding the box the with the stamps and envelopes. lol

The post office has the change of address forms...don't forget to fill em out like I did

Ummm...Just start packing stuff you don't need right now, now. DVDS, CDS, alot of big stuff...clothes...etc. And make sure you can reserve a UHAUL or whatever (if you're going to need it).
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    As much as I hate Uhaul, I used their "smart tape" last time and will never move without it agaain.
    It is tape with the name of the room printed on it. Every room has its own color and name.
    As has been said, go through everything you have, especially if you have not used it from, the last move. Get rid of stuff.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Oh I love that smart tape too!!! I thought it was the coolest ever! Sad thing is...I didn't discover it existed until after I moved and was dropping the UHAUL off
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If you have USAA they have some great tips and lists on their website to keep yourself organized.

Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The military movers pack and unpack your stuff correct?
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsRNA View Post
    The military movers pack and unpack your stuff correct?
    yes, if you decide you want them too.
  10. Senior Member
    If you are doing a move where they come in and pack for you then you do things a little differently. You can choose one of two ways to do it. You can just have them pack or you can try to organize for a smooth packing and unpacking day.

Take pictures of all furniture and special dishes, knicknacks, lamps etc before the movers arrive to have proof of the condition before moving
    Throw out anything that you don't need.
    Create a notebook to hold all the receipts, important information on bills, any reservation information etc that you may need. You may need several copies of his orders so make sure you go get at least 20 to have on hand. If he isn't going to be there for the move make sure you have copies of his POA as well. Have a lot of those clear pocket document protectors so you can find stuff easily. You'll probably need a large notebook as it fills quickly. That way you have everything you need for any reimburements.
    Organize your rooms Put all books together. Breakable items can go together on bookshelves. All bedding and linen clean and folded. Clothing sorted. Empty hangers tied together so they can be easily packed.
    Make signs for each room so the movers know how you want the item in that room labeled and post them on the wall and on the door.
    Pack what you need clothing, meds, personal supplies, toys if you have kids, snacks etc. If you are driving, put all of that in the car the day before the movers come. Otherwise find a friend that will let you bring it over to their house or if you live in an apt ask your managers if they have a place you can put it for safekeeping while the movers are there. Make sure you'll be ableto access it after hours. If you don't do this chances are they will pack that as well and you'll have to have them find and unpack it.
    Buy paper plates, glasses, bowls, forks, spoons for the week before you leave so you don't have as many dishes to do while your organizing.
    Have cleaning supplies brooms, paper towels, cleaning cloths, toilet bowl cleaning supplies, scrubbing supplies that you know you will leave behind (or pack in your car) or throw away after you've cleaned
    Make sure you have a walk through and they sign off on everything. Take pictures as well as to the state of the place, so should any issues come up you have both the pictures (put them on CD) and the sign off sheet as proof that there was no problems. Keep them in your notebook. Do not leave that notebook laying where it will get packed.
    The movers will pack and unpack you. They will try to get out of unpacking but it is in their contract. It will prob take several hours to unpack so you either need to give them a lunch break to eat or do as we do have coffee, juice and donuts for their arrival and order pizza and drinks delivered and give them a lunch break. They appreciate it and are more willing to unpack for you.
    Call all utilities to give them a shut off date. Remember you still have to clean so have them shut off the day after your last day there.
    Let all the companies you make payments to know your new address and put in a change of address with the post office.

I feel like I'm forgetting some things and will add them when I remember
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast