Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCSing- advice

1. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

Question PCSing- advice

Advertisements
    What do you wish you knew your first time PCSing?

Is there any advice you swear by that makes things that much easier?

How far ahead of your move should you start preparing?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Partial DITY- DO IT

There will be things you don't want the movers to take(and things they won't take)so you may as well get organized and get some $ for taking them yourself!

Make sure you figure out what to do with your firearms BEFORE you leave(if applicable)...

The internet is your friend. Scope housing/apartments/hotels before you leave and make your arrangements...nothing worse than showing up in a new place at 4am with cranky kids and no vacancy!
  3. As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    As life is eternal, love is immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Partial DITY- DO IT

There will be things you don't want the movers to take(and things they won't take)so you may as well get organized and get some $ for taking them yourself!

Make sure you figure out what to do with your firearms BEFORE you leave(if applicable)...

The internet is your friend. Scope housing/apartments/hotels before you leave and make your arrangements...nothing worse than showing up in a new place at 4am with cranky kids and no vacancy!
    ITA...... We didn't do it our first time and found out after we moved we could have got 1500 if not more for what we took with us.
    Siggy under construction!!!
  4. Senior Member
    Random question- with a partial DITY, do you have a set amount of pounds you have to take yourself? Or is it just whatever you can fit in your car(s)?
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I wish I hadn't trusted my husband to check over the mover's list stating the damage to our furniture before signing it. He looked over a huge scratch in our brand new bed that THEY did, and signed the paper stating everything was correct. So, now there's nothing that can be done about it. Just watch everything they do, and don't sign that list until you look at everything, no matter how many pages of crap there is to look over!

We started preparing about a week before time for the movers to come. We separated the things that we would keep with us, and put it all into one "off limits closet." My husband also did a trial run of loading everything we intended to keep in the car and truck, to make sure it would all fit.

Since we did a partial DITY, we had to have our cars weighed twice -- once empty, once with everything in it. So, a week in advance, we took them to be weighed. The day before, we loaded everything up and took them to be weighed again.

We also scoped out our route, planned how many miles/hours we would drive per day, and where we would stop each night. That way we didn't arrive anywhere in the middle of the night, and never had issues with finding a room or place to have a nice dinner.

The only other thing we did was save our receipts for EVERYTHING. We didn't have to, but you just never know...
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain. View Post
    Random question- with a partial DITY, do you have a set amount of pounds you have to take yourself? Or is it just whatever you can fit in your car(s)?
    I think it's just whatever you can fit in your car? All they asked us to do was weigh our cars before loading them and after loading them, and save the receipts.
  7. Married to a Naval Officer
    Married to a Naval Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain. View Post
    As long as the total weight of your partial DITY and your HHG is within your limits, you can bring as much as you want.

I don't know about the Army but I wish we knew that my husband has to report to his command as soon as we got there. We didn't get reimbursed for our lodging. But at that point, I didn't even know we'll get money at all.
  8. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

How long does it typically take to get reimbursed?
  9. asreed
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Partial DITY- DO IT

10. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast