Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going over HHG weight allowance?

1. ------------------
    ------------------

Going over HHG weight allowance?

Advertisements
    Has anyone ever gone over their weight allowance?

We are dangerously close to going over with this PCS. We came within 49lbs. and that does not include our 1000lb unaccompanied baggage allowance. The scary thing is we will be moving again in 1.5-2yrs. We plan to buy a washer/dryer, bookshelves, and a couple other furniture items at our next duty station. For sure that will put us over and I am FREAKING out about it!

I think our only choice will be to get a moving van and take some of the stuff ourselves. I don't want to have to pay $1 per Pound we go over.

This sucks! I am really hoping the weight I saw included the crates or something. (We had 9.5 crates of stuff.)

For anyone who has had their stuff packed into crates when PCSing........how many crates did you have and how much did it weigh?

*Sigh*
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Yikes! We have so much stuff I thought for sure we would go over but we had plenty of wiggle room. Is there anything you can discard? Or ship separately?

I put all of my books into plastic totes and stashed them at my mom's house for the duration of our time in Korea, I was so paranoid!
  3. ------------------
    ------------------
    The scary thing is, is that we probably threw/gave away about 1500 lbs worth of stuff before the packout...LOL!!!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    did you subtract for progear?

and did they subtract 10% for packing material?

A few things I have learned- Books I have read- are useless to keep- having a library in the military is a waste of weight- I no longer keep them after I read them I donate them or freecylce them- in most cases I borrow from the library for free.

old magazines- I cut out recipes- and craft ideas and transfer them to a cook book I made for them or a folder for the craft ideas.
    these are also very heavy and add unnecessary weight.

clothes and shoes- if I haven't worn it in a yr- out it goes- I did just give to the goodwill over 2,000 dollars worth of clothing and shoes-

As hard as it was I got rid of all the baby stuff- I have one box of the kids stuff left- I have purged everything else.

pictures I have sorted thru- took out all the duplicates- took out all the old negetives and put the photos I had left into photo boxes by person and date.

CD's I sold all but a small crate- I put everything on the ipod and into I tunes- no more need for CD's.

Movies- I got rid of most of the movies we owned- if we had watched it more than 3 times- or did not watch it in the last 6 months out it went- now we do not buy any DVD's- we rent them.

I purged all the old files and shredded everythind older than 5 yrs. paper is heavy.

there are alot of ways to cut back-

oh just to add- if you have taken the progear off- and they have taken off the 10% and you still are only 49 lbs away- they will charge you or refuse you the UB -
    I recently saw a person get charged for the overwieght charges on thr large shipment instead of the UB it cost them over 1,000 dollars -
  5. Senior Member
    well we are still doing this little over the weight limit audit we had gotten.. we dont know how we went over cause we had the same stuff we had when we moved the first time. but anywho. yea the ladies above gave good advice and always ask for a wieght statment and if you think its wrong you can always ask for a reweigh.
  6. ------------------
    ------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    did you subtract for progear?

and did they subtract 10% for packing material?

oh just to add- if you have taken the progear off- and they have taken off the 10% and you still are only 49 lbs away- they will charge you or refuse you the UB -
    I recently saw a person get charged for the overwieght charges on thr large shipment instead of the UB it cost them over 1,000 dollars -
    Thanks for the tips. That is scary about the ub overage! I really hope that the weight I saw included his 1000lbs of pro gear and the packing. I know we will really be needing to purge more junk as we unpack.
  7. ------------------
    ------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Navywife85 View Post
    well we are still doing this little over the weight limit audit we had gotten.. we dont know how we went over cause we had the same stuff we had when we moved the first time. but anywho. yea the ladies above gave good advice and always ask for a wieght statment and if you think its wrong you can always ask for a reweigh.
    Can you ask for a reweigh even if you are not over? LOL

How much was the two weight differences they gave you?
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

if they pack into crates, I am not sure how they do it. (I can't remember if they weighed the crates first of not, make sure they do), we came from OCONUS and had stuff in storage and had to pay a bit cause we also did a partial DITY from MIL's house, they wouldn't pay us for the partial dity, they took the money they would have given us for that to pay for shipping our stuff in storage. All I know now is that we need to have a MAJOR clean out before we move again or we will be paying a bit (unless DH pulls out the books and makes Tech)

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My Dh and I have tons of stuff and we never went over the limit when he was in...I would try to purge some stuff.
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  10. ------------------
    ------------------
    Ok- DH called personal property. They hadn't deducted the 10% for packing material yet. Also, the movers did not weigh our pro gear seperately. Also, whoever said that our UB weight counts towards our 13,000lbs was correct. Soooooo............after all is said and done, we will be ok for this move, but we have to be very careful for the next.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast