Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're getting married and reporting in the same week!

1. Senior Member

Help We're getting married and reporting in the same week!

Advertisements
    DF and I are both new to this. He graduates from AIT on 11/5 then has 2 weeks of hometown recruiting right after which gives us about a week and a half before he has to report to Ft. Campbell on 11/28 to get married. We're going to Vegas to get married so no big deal there but my questions come in about timing...

Yes, I know that it'll be a hassle because they're expecting him to come without a wife. Do any of you have any advice for this? Will he have to stay in the barracks until his orders can be changed? Is there somebody we should call ahead of time to give them a heads up about this or is it one of those things that nothing can be done about until they have the marriage license in hand?

We'll have to look for off base housing also. Does anybody know any good apartments in the Clarksville area? The closer to Ft. Campbell the better.
  2. MrsPresson09
    I wish you the best! Does he know what unit hes going to be in on the base? If so, maybe you can get in contact with someone there in the FRG..

Good Luck chicky!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Adkins View Post
    DF and I are both new to this. He graduates from AIT on 11/5 then has 2 weeks of hometown recruiting right after which gives us about a week and a half before he has to report to Ft. Campbell on 11/28 to get married. We're going to Vegas to get married so no big deal there but my questions come in about timing...

Yes, I know that it'll be a hassle because they're expecting him to come without a wife. Do any of you have any advice for this? Will he have to stay in the barracks until his orders can be changed? Is there somebody we should call ahead of time to give them a heads up about this or is it one of those things that nothing can be done about until they have the marriage license in hand?

We'll have to look for off base housing also. Does anybody know any good apartments in the Clarksville area? The closer to Ft. Campbell the better.
    there is really no easy way to tell you- just that it will be messy, complicated and difficult- there are so many things that will go wrong-
    he will need to check into the barracks since he has orders as single- you cannot stay in the barracks- you cannot get on the housing list until you are entered into DEERs, and are a legal dependant- this can take weeks-
    you will not get BAH until everything clears- again will take weeks -
    you will travel on your own dime- and if they have not allowed him to drive he will have to either not use the plane tix and possibly get into trouble- or fly and you drive seperately-
    you should try to get married ASAP- as soon as her gets there for hometown recruiting- I would even say that day or the next to help your time line.

just make sure you have tons of cash lto make this move.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    there is really no easy way to tell you- just that it will be messy, complicated and difficult- there are so many things that will go wrong-
    he will need to check into the barracks since he has orders as single- you cannot stay in the barracks- you cannot get on the housing list until you are entered into DEERs, and are a legal dependant- this can take weeks-
    you will not get BAH until everything clears- again will take weeks -
    you will travel on your own dime- and if they have not allowed him to drive he will have to either not use the plane tix and possibly get into trouble- or fly and you drive seperately-
    you should try to get married ASAP- as soon as her gets there for hometown recruiting- I would even say that day or the next to help your time line.

just make sure you have tons of cash lto make this move.
    While this can happen.. we had a similar experience but we didn't have any problems. He didn't have to stay in the barracks when he checked in. They did all the paperwork for us on that same day. Our BAH was set up the same day and we saw it come in on the following paycheck They put me on his page 2, changed his life insurance, changed my information in DEERS (my dad was in the military and I had a dependent ID).

He didn't use the plane tickets they gave him because he told SATO he was going to take a POV but they gave him one "just in case" and they refunded that on the travel claim. I do agree about having tons of cash to make the move. There's a big chance that they won't provide you with any TLE or anything. We didn't apply for housing at first because the wait was too long so we found a place off base

But like what was said, make sure you have a lot of money because you don't want to find yourself in a rut. Luckily I made sure we had a lot saved up before we moved out here. Helped when it came to putting down a deposit and first month's rent, deposit for turning on the water, lodging expenses.. and stuff for the house

5. Senior Member
    Oh and I can't say that you should depend on my situation because every base is different. Every situation is different. What might have been easy for us, may end up being really difficult for you

But the least you could do if that's what you are going to do.. is make sure you've got your marriage certificate in hand when you get there.

6. Senior Member

Thank you

I will keep my fingers crossed that not everything will be difficult and go as smoothly as possible. Thank you for all of the input, it's nice to finally have some kind of an answer even if it's totally dependent on the base and could be good or terrible.

I already talked with his recruiter who nicely made it clear that DF had to report the day after he graduated. We were going to see if there was anyway he could report the following Monday, but the answer to that was a big fat no.

Ugh, I don't think I'm being too difficult. I'm super flexible on all aspects of the wedding. I don't care who's there, what day, what time, if I have flowers....I don't care about any of that. The only thing I really really want is to get married in Vegas and have an Elvis impersonator walk me down the isle and perform the ceremony.

We didn't expect it to be easy, so even the answers I didn't want to hear are things I've already expected. Oh well, look like we'll save then.

Thanks girls
  7. Member
    My hubby and I got married right before we came to FT. Drum. We check in at the base told them he was married we stayed in a hotel for about 4 day. We went and got a apartment off base paid the deposit and first months rent out of our pockets and by the time next months rent was due his BAH had came through. I got registered for Deers as soon as I got their. We paid for our trip there out of our pockets and the military paid to have our furniture moved here and we bought and couch, washer and dryer, and a futon after we got here with his enlistment bonus until then we just sleep on an air mattress we got at the PX. Good luck with everything. You might get online and look up Fort. Campbell and call there housing and travel office they might be able to tell you more or point you to somebody that can.
    Emily Rose
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I don't know your whole situation or anything, and I know you posted this a little bit ago, but is his hometown recruiting in Florida where you are? If so, I dont think he will be able to fly to Vegas for you to get married. When he leaves BASIC/AIT he has to sign a "leave form" that states where he will be. He can't just go to another state especially that far away from where his leave & hometown recruiting is. And secondly, if he is doing hometown recruiting, he will be at the recruiters office at least 5 days a week and probably long hours as well. So that is another thing to think about. I mean I hope all works out for you, I just thought I would throw that out there so you might think about that. I know when my dh joined (we had already been married for 5 years) they told him at 25 yrs old, he was "too old" to do hometown recruiting. So I had to take him from his OSUT Graduation to the Atlanta Airport and drop him off, where he flew to Alaska (our first duty station). I had already been enrolled into DEERS since we were already married, and I have to tell you that it STILL took 1 1/2 Months before I was approved by the Army to be moved to Alaska with him. I bought his planeticket, they gave him 10 days and he flew home to Missouri to get me, I already had our HHG shipped, and we drove to Alaska. Again, I really do hope that it all works out smoothly for you, I just thought I would share my personal experience with you.
  9. Senior Member
    We got married, went on a honeymoon and he reported to his ship. When we got here we had a day or two before he reported so we did everything. It did NOT take long at all. I was enrolled into everything, had my ID and we had a house all within a week. (The house part is odd since there was no wait but besides that I think it was a normal amount of time.) They messed up one or two minor details but it was easily corrected within a month or two.

Good luck!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We got married before DH reported to his first duty station. He was given time to get his affairs in order when he reported, so during that time I signed up for DEERS and everything got figured out. It wasn't too much of a hindrance in retrospect.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast