Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First PCS...HELP!!!

1. Senior Member

Help First PCS...HELP!!!

Advertisements
    DH graduates OSUT in a month, we are suppose to be heading to FT. Carson CO. I am sooo lost on how all this works!!

I have my POA and all ive called the housing area there and they said they will call me back.

My questions are these...
    1: they said i have to fill out an application for housing to see the wait and all. They said that i can do this without his orders. BUT will it actually put us on the waiting list?

2:they told me anywhere from 2wks to 6mo. What is the likely hood of it being on the shorter end of things?

3:If the wait is longer can he go ahead of us and we follow when housing is available? If so where will he stày?

4:With this being our first PCS, does he get travel pay? Does that hit before we actually move? Or are we reinburst?

5:Can we opt to fly rather then drive?

6:When can i plan for movers? Like how far in advance or whatever, and do they pack everything? Or do i need to have it packed and waiting?

HELP!! Anything is great really!!!
    "You are good, when there is nothing good in me
  2. Banned
    Banned
    1: they said i have to fill out an application for housing to see the wait and all. They said that i can do this without his orders. BUT will it actually put us on the waiting list? you most likely will not get on the list until you have orders

2:they told me anywhere from 2wks to 6mo. What is the likely hood of it being on the shorter end of things?not sure on this since it is base specific

3:If the wait is longer can he go ahead of us and we follow when housing is available? If so where will he stày?this is branch specific- some allow it some do not- sorry I don't know

4:With this being our first PCS, does he get travel pay? Does that hit before we actually move? Or are we reinburst?yes you will all get travel pay( per diem) it is based on per day per person and how many miles it is (MALT)

5:Can we opt to fly rather then drive? yes but the cost cannot exceed your Per diem Rate, but you will have to also ship your car and they will not pay for that

6:When can i plan for movers? as soon as you have hard copies of the orders
    Like how far in advance or whatever, and do they pack everything?they will pack the day of the move and yes they will pack everything
    Or do i need to have it packed and waiting? if you pack it they will A) unpack it and repack it or B) not insure it. so no you do not pack anything.
  3. Insert something witty -->here.
    Insert something witty -->here.
    I wanna go back to carson! Take me with you!!!!!

1: they said i have to fill out an application for housing to see the wait and all. They said that i can do this without his orders. BUT will it actually put us on the waiting list? No, but atleast all youll have to do with orders in hand is fax and poof your on the list!

2:they told me anywhere from 2wks to 6mo. What is the likely hood of it being on the shorter end of things?Carsons always been shorter... new housing not too long ago...

3:If the wait is longer can he go ahead of us and we follow when housing is available? If so where will he stày?He would probaly be a geographical bachelor, and live in the barracks... not tooooo sure on that one...

4:With this being our first PCS, does he get travel pay? Does that hit before we actually move? Or are we reinburst?You can get an andvance before the move and they pay you the difference once its settled

5:Can we opt to fly rather then drive?Weve always did a DITY moves so i dont know

6:When can i plan for movers? Like how far in advance or whatever, and do they pack everything? Or do i need to have it packed and waiting?They pack it all, you unpack it all...
  4. Senior Member
    We wont be taking a vehicle but getting a new one once we arrive, we have a convertible(not family friendly or good with snow).

How does he get an advance? And if he waits how long till they pay him back?
  5. Insert something witty -->here.
    Insert something witty -->here.
    He goes into travel office and puts in for one... if no advance hell get reimbursed for travel about 4 - 6 weeks of arriving at colorado...

Car buying: go to toyota of colorado springs on motor city drive and ask for Sal... hes awesome
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by army mommy View Post
    We wont be taking a vehicle but getting a new one once we arrive, we have a convertible(not family friendly or good with snow).

How does he get an advance? And if he waits how long till they pay him back?

now since you won't have a car the military will pay to fly you- but there will be no travel money- no per diem and not MALT-

you will not have anything to get up front- except the DLA -
    and the DLA is about 1800 dollars- since he is a recruit they may not even give him that up front- he needs to talk to someone in his finance office to get the right answers for your branch.
  7. So there i was ..........
    So there i was ..........
    Blog Entries
    The DLA goes by rank you can look up the amount online - i would not recommend taking advance pay if they offer it to you - i know if you fly TMO will provide you with the tickets - most time housing will put u on the list once u fax over orders - somtimes WEB orders are enough just depends on the base - the wait usually depends on what your rate - i know all our moves we have always gotten in sooner

8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Even if they don't put you on the list right away when you get orders they will back date it since you called ahead, to the date you called ( if that makes sense)
    i second not taking the advance pay you have to pay it back within a year ( but can sometimes get extended longer). the problem is you will be out x amount every month for that time it can cause a crunch at times.
    Travel and DLA should be more then enough to get you there and set up what you need to set up.

If you choose not to go with him he can stay in the barracks ( since he will be low ranking since he is just coming out of basic) till you have a residence.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

9. Senior Member
    thanks sooo much ladies. i think driving will be best, and i think we will opt against the avancement in pay. The lady from the housing office called back, and said her system was down she would call tomorrow, so im hoping that i can pull things together.

Thanks sooo much ladies , again
  10. Banned
    Banned
    mommy- there is a difference between advance PAY and advance travel -

most times you will not need to pay back your travel money as long as you follow the rules- you can get that money up front ( but I strongly recommend not getting more than 80% up front--- this will help ensure there are not any over payments)

if you need help figuring the travel money let me know- I am pretty good at it if I do say so myself
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast