Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special POA

1. Senior Member

Special POA

Advertisements
    Ok here's the deal. DH is deployed and we weren't expecting to move out of the apartment I'm at right now. But we are. So I'm supposed to go to the housing office on Friday to sign the lease, and she said all I need to bring is the special POA. Well, I was going through all the papers DH left me and I have general POA, but one special POA for our vehicles. He should be calling me tomorrow, but does anyone know if he would be able to get the special POA faxed over to me since he's deployed? If not, can anyone think of my other options?
  2. Senior Member
  3. Senior Member
    I was under the impression that you only need a general POA to do that.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ily.mmw View Post
    I was under the impression that you only need a general POA to do that.
    That's what I thought too because it talks about a lease and real estate in it. But I asked the lady if I needed to bring anything and she said "special power of attorney" Maybe she was confused?
  5. Member
    I am pretty sure general Power of Attorney is pretty much for an circumstance I dont really think there are many limitations to it and that is why the military really tries to enforce spouses to get special because the general is so open ended!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpa7985 View Post
    I am pretty sure general Power of Attorney is pretty much for an circumstance I dont really think there are many limitations to it and that is why the military really tries to enforce spouses to get special because the general is so open ended!
    That's exactly what I don't get.. A general one doesn't really have limitations on it. I always thought that specific ones were the ones you needed if you didn't want to give over a general POA. But even with a general POA they want a specific one. It's so confusing.

My mom has always had a general POA even when my dad was in the military and she said that was all I needed.

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    They are requiring more and more special POAs these days. I think that a lot of it is to cover the military member and to make sure that they really want the other person to be able to do specific things like buy/sell a car or a house. That way if you only have a general POA you really can't do this and it protects the interest of the military member.

I would call the housing office and ask them if you need a specific POA for housing or if a general POA is what they need. I believe that they just need a general POA with orders, but I could be wrong. HTH.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by knockouttrish View Post
    They are requiring more and more special POAs these days. I think that a lot of it is to cover the military member and to make sure that they really want the other person to be able to do specific things like buy/sell a car or a house. That way if you only have a general POA you really can't do this and it protects the interest of the military member.

I would call the housing office and ask them if you need a specific POA for housing or if a general POA is what they need. I believe that they just need a general POA with orders, but I could be wrong. HTH.

there is
    General POA
    Special POA

General is General
    Special is normally associated with real esate transactions, vehicles, etc.

There is a Legal Represenative that should be part of your DH's command that could draft this, but typically you would have this prior to a deployment.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  9. Senior Member
    You will need the Special POA... the only big difference is that it specifically has the address you will be moving to. Yes General could do it, but now a days... with so much identity theft they require the Special POA with the address listed so if anything comes back they have that document. His legal dept should be able to email it to you, BUT you need to check if you can use a printed out copy and not the original, since it wont have the raised seal from the notary.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimly View Post
    You will need the Special POA... the only big difference is that it specifically has the address you will be moving to. Yes General could do it, but now a days... with so much identity theft they require the Special POA with the address listed so if anything comes back they have that document. His legal dept should be able to email it to you, BUT you need to check if you can use a printed out copy and not the original, since it wont have the raised seal from the notary.
    Well how could I get the Special POA with the new address on it? I don't even know it yet. And he can't just up and get one since he's in Iraq. I understand they are just trying to be careful but it makes it so much harder on me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast