Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: No Commissary, no housing?

1. Senior Member

No Commissary, no housing?

Advertisements
    Do you get any extra pays or benefits if you are stationed, as a family, that doesnt have a commissary, housing, etc.?

We may be assigned to a training facility that was a military base but was shut down in 1995. All that is there now is a training facility, barracks, and a small BX. It's set up to only handle soldiers for a couple of weeks at a time, not entire families.

Since its not a military town I dont know how far Id have to drive to find a doctors office that would accept tricare. Im having a hard time finding rentals,etc.

The Base is Fort Pickett. The closest town is Blackstone, VA and it has a LOT of little towns surrounding it. It is a very rural area. Petersburg is about 45 minutes away and Richmond is about an hour.

Someone told me we should get a cost of living allowance for being stationed there but Ive only heard of that if you are overseas, which we are right now.
  2. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    There is no extra kick back that I've heard of if you are not stationed where a regular base is. But I could be wrong.

As for Tricare call that region and ask for a list of doctor's in the area to help shorten the time of having to call and ask if they accept tricare.

3. ProudArmyWifeD
    Last edited by ProudArmyWifeD; 01-06-2010 at 12:00 PM.
  4. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    There are no perks for living anywhere without housing or a commissary, unless it's listed on the billet that way. I think it's called incentive pay, and it would be there on the billet listing and would be negotiable with the detailer, but there aren't a whole lot of those kinda of billets available stateside. We live in a remote area, we just have a tiny commissary and a NEX the size of a minimart (it's basically a package store), there is housing, but it's PPV.
  5. Senior Member
    Other than BAH and/or COLA there are no "kickbacks".
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Gurl View Post
    There is no extra kick back that I've heard of if you are not stationed where a regular base is. But I could be wrong.

As for Tricare call that region and ask for a list of doctor's in the area to help shorten the time of having to call and ask if they accept tricare.
    I hadnt thought of that. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudArmyWifeD View Post
    You'll get BAH since there isn't housing.

If you are in a high cost of living area in the US, you may get COLA. You can google COLA and see the list of areas within the US that offer COLA, but from what I have seen, it is not that much (nowhere near OCONUS COLA).

As for Tricare, since you are more than 50 miles from an MTF (I assume?) then you'll get Tricare Prime and plenty of civilian doctors participate. I hope you find one that isn't too far from where you'll be living! You can check online or even just call.
    No, it's not a high cost of living area.
    I've been using base doctors since he reenlisted so I have never had to use non-MTF providors.

Quote Originally Posted by *tina* View Post
    There are no perks for living anywhere without housing or a commissary, unless it's listed on the billet that way. I think it's called incentive pay, and it would be there on the billet listing and would be negotiable with the detailer, but there aren't a whole lot of those kinda of billets available stateside. We live in a remote area, we just have a tiny commissary and a NEX the size of a minimart (it's basically a package store), there is housing, but it's PPV.
    Not sure how all this is gonna pan out. They arent changing his orders, he will still be assigned to the same school but they are sending him to run another one of their schools about 3 hours West.

Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Other than BAH and/or COLA there are no "kickbacks".
    I didnt think so either but like 2 other people said that but I had never heard anything other than BAh and COLA

Thank you all for your help.