Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: norfolk questions!

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

norfolk questions!

Advertisements
    Hey everyone! Haven't gotten on in a while, dh is deployed, I've been trying to keep busy SO I will be moving to norfolk next march shortly before he returns, so I can be settled in, and he can have somwhere to come home to other than the ship. I've been looking online at homes and such, because I'm not going to be able to visit norfolk before hand, so I am pretty much committing to something sight unseen. I found a 4 bedroom house for $1000 a month, in the little creek area, on carlton and templar. Does anyone know this area? Is it safe? I really need help, like I said, I won't be able to go look for myself, so anything that anyone knows will be of use to me. I know the general "to do" is to stay away from portsmouth....we'd like to rent a home over a townhome or apartment, but we'd like to stay between $800-$1000, and this home I'm looking at now is very nice...so if anyone could tell me anything about that area, I would greatly appreciate it! Any other information about moving to norfolk will be helpful too! Thanks!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmm..... I'm not very familiar with that section of Norfolk, but maybe someone will recognize some of the surrounding streets:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=No...e=INTERSECTION

Just as an FYI, there are as many "to do" parts of Norfolk to stay away from as there are Portsmouth. The biggest problem is commuting through tunnels; it's best to live on the same side of the water as you work. If he's going to be working in Norfolk, you should live in Norfolk/VB; if he's going to be working in Portsmouth, you should find a place to live over on that side of the tunnel.
  3. Senior Member
    you can try hampton or chesapeake as well. i grew up in hampton and now i have family in chesapeake and va beach. tunnel traffic is the only problem really for hampton. about 30 minutes on a good day, an hour or so when its rush hour. my dad commuted from hampton to norfolk for over 15 years so it cant be that bad . there are good places and bad place for all of the 7 cities. if you have questions about certain places, PM me and i can try to give you as accurate description of it as i can. good luck
    no one will know me now because my siggy is gone
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."-Unknown
    hes home
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I think the biggest issue I've found (and I haven't been here very long) is that there are REALLY nice areas within a mile of REALLY bad areas. Little Creek is a fairly long road so I wouldn't know which part you are looking at exactly.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Hmmmm..... I'm not very familiar with that section of Norfolk, but maybe someone will recognize some of the surrounding streets:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=No...e=INTERSECTION

Just as an FYI, there are as many "to do" parts of Norfolk to stay away from as there are Portsmouth. The biggest problem is commuting through tunnels; it's best to live on the same side of the water as you work. If he's going to be working in Norfolk, you should live in Norfolk/VB; if he's going to be working in Portsmouth, you should find a place to live over on that side of the tunnel.
    I lived in Hampton,and LOVED it. The traffic was NOT BAD AT ALL! When we went to VA beach at 4:00-5:00pm, we were in TRAFFIC, horrible traffic. That did not move! I vowed to never live on that side of the water. There might be a little traffic driving through the tunnel from Norfolk to Hampton, but onc eyou got out of the traffic, there was no traffic. I was able to drive anywhere I wanted.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyG View Post
    I lived in Hampton,and LOVED it. The traffic was NOT BAD AT ALL! When we went to VA beach at 4:00-5:00pm, we were in TRAFFIC, horrible traffic. That did not move! I vowed to never live on that side of the water. There might be a little traffic driving through the tunnel from Norfolk to Hampton, but onc eyou got out of the traffic, there was no traffic. I was able to drive anywhere I wanted.
    In the OP, the general reference was Norfolk vs. Portsmouth, and the downtown and midtown tunnels get pretty bad.

You're the only person who's ever said to me that they actually liked commuting across the water, though. At least, you're the only one I can remember.
  7. Senior Member
    I personally would stay away from Norfolk & Portsmouth. There are a few good places in Norfolk like Gent, Downtown Norfolk, & I like the area over by the botanical gardens. In that price range the only place you will be able to rent a house would be the area over by the botanical gardens. I LOVE Chesapeake, but its a tad bit farther away from the bases. And of course I love Virginia Beach too since that is where we live. Every town here has its good and bad areas, it just seems Norfolk and Portsmouth has more bad than good. & I would stay on the same side of the water as I work too... We used to live in Hampton and both DH and I worked on the south side, we would be stuck in traffic due to the tunnel for up to 2 hours a day... it saved alot of money/gas/time when we moved to the south side.

Why do you want a house? There is so much more maintenance for a house than a townhouse/condo IE. the lawn! And I know that is the reason we decided to buy a townhouse in Virginia Beach, because when DH gets deployed there is no way I was going to go and mow the grass myself, certainly with me being pregnant last year. & with our tiny back yard and even smaller front yard it still cost $20 every other week to mow. So for a house I would think it would be closer to $50 depending on how big your yard is. And with the price range your looking at you can rent a much nicer Townhouse/Condo than a house & probably in a better area too.

PM if you like.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberly View Post
    I think the biggest issue I've found (and I haven't been here very long) is that there are REALLY nice areas within a mile of REALLY bad areas. Little Creek is a fairly long road so I wouldn't know which part you are looking at exactly.
    Exactly.... it seems to go like this crack house, crack house, crack house, million dollar house, million dollar house, crack house.. ect.!
  9. I love Mikey!!
    I love Mikey!!
    hmm yea .. we live in ghent that is in norfolk.. and about a half amile down the road are some bad neighborhoods.. there are some nice places in little creek.. you can call the local police station.. around where you are trying to live and ask if its safe.. I know there are some nice area's around little creek..
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    In the OP, the general reference was Norfolk vs. Portsmouth, and the downtown and midtown tunnels get pretty bad.

You're the only person who's ever said to me that they actually liked commuting across the water, though. At least, you're the only one I can remember.
    Kef210's father commuted for 15 years! I LOVED Hampton because we had the Airforce base,gym,commissary, and everything else that comes with being in the military.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast