Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: The average weight of various HHG

1. Senior Member

The average weight of various HHG

Advertisements
    Well, DH and I are about to do our first PCS that is overseas. I know that we are supposed to estimate the weight by assuming each room is around 1,000 lbs and then estimating the weight of the larger items. My question is, how the heck do you estimate that? I have no idea how much a bed weighs, or a desk, or various other items.

So for those of you that have done this already or who just happen to know the answer, is there a semi-reliable way to estimate the weight of common household items? I've tried looking online at the manufactures' specs, but it isn't always listed.

That said, I'd like to start a thread where we post how much our larger household items weigh(ed). For example:

Queen sized mattress and box spring = ____lbs
    Queen-sized sofa sleeper couch = ___lbs
    4 seater table= __lbs
    medium sized computer desk ___lbs
    large a$$ computer = __lbs

You can get as specific with this as you'd like. I think that this would really help out us newbies who are completely lost. If this thread is stupid, or if there is actually a link with this information somewhere, please just direct me to it. Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Take how many rooms you have...say 3 bdrm, living room, kitchen & garage. 1000 lbs each = 6000lbs. Plus add in weight for washer & Dryer, extra large tv, and such. Our last PCS I said 7000lbs for a 3 bedroom 1500 sq ft house and we didn't go over.

What is your weight allowance? And you know his work stuff shouldn't be included in your weight. They should have someone come over and look at all your stuff before they pack you out to get their own estimate.
    Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be.
    --Robert Browning
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniyelle View Post
    Take how many rooms you have...say 3 bdrm, living room, kitchen & garage. 1000 lbs each = 6000lbs. Plus add in weight for washer & Dryer, extra large tv, and such. Our last PCS I said 7000lbs for a 3 bedroom 1500 sq ft house and we didn't go over.

What is your weight allowance? And you know his work stuff shouldn't be included in your weight. They should have someone come over and look at all your stuff before they pack you out to get their own estimate.
    Yeah, I get the 1,000 lbs per room. But they also said to then add an estimate for the larger items. My question is how do you get anywhere close to knowing the weight of a bed, piano, or something like that. KWIM?

Our weight limit is 12,000, and we just got married. We will probably buy a lot of stuff there, so it's likely that we don't have to worry much about going over our main limit. What I am worried about is possibly going over on my 600 lbs unaccompanied baggage. (I want to take my computer, cooking stuff, winter clothes, etc...)
  4. Senior Member
    I don't know how to estimate weights for certain items. That's tricky. 600 lbs adds up fast, so I would be worried about going over that too. Do you know who your moving company is gonna be? Maybe you could call them and ask them what's the best way.
    Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be.
    --Robert Browning