Thread: Question about when to move...

1. HE IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HE IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Blog Entries

Help Question about when to move...

Advertisements
    Couldn't think of a better title!

Some background information:
    My husband is stationed in Iraq. His PCS is in NV. But I am currently in California. I would love to find a place to live before he gets back, but he says just to wait. I don't want to because all our belongings are in storage and we don't have anyone to live when he comes back. He wants to PCS to another country, but isn't sure if he can.

Even if he does PCS to another country, wouldn't he still be in NV for a little bit, before he/we get placed in another country?

I know I need to talk to him again and see if he wants to live on base. But I am pretty sure he doesn't. So my next question is how soon should I look for a place? He says that he has a good chance of being home in the middle of December. And technically my older sister lives in NV close to his base (like 30 mins south of it) so I could stay with her for a little bit if I asked her. But I dont want to have to impose on her for longer than I need to. So umm.. should I just wait till dec to look for a place??

Sorry my post is all over the place. I am just really confused on when and what to do about housing.
  2. Senior Member
    If he doesn't have orders already to go overseas he won't go straight from Iraq. Usually you have to be at a base for a certain amount of time before PCS (most bases its 3 years now adays). He may be able to get an unaccompanied tour to Korea (1 year) and then get an overseas add on guaranteed though earlier. Good luck!
  3. bailliesbags
    I am assuming he is stationed in Kuwait and his current orders will have him pcs'ing to NV? If he PCS's to NV then he is going to have to be there for awhile before he will get to PCS again. Now if he goes to his branch manager and gets those orders changed to PCS Overseas now then he would probablly come back to you for a time being and then have to report overseas.

I wouldn't look for a place until I know where he is going to be stationed for sure. If you aren't living on post and don't have kids to consider then I would probablly go up at least 1 1/2 in advance to get a place and get everything shipped to you and set up.

My dh will come back in Sept. of next year. If his orders don't get changed to come back here (like they should), then I will either try to sale my house during PCS season and then either go find a place at our new station or go to where he will be returning to and find a furnished place for a short time. Or I will wait and leave out at Christmas time after he is back and has a place for us!

It really depends on what you guys want and your situation!
  4. HE IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HE IS HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your input ladies!!
    Little more background info:
    He isn't stationed in Kuwait. But he his PCS was in NV before he got deployed to Iraq. His orders are to Iraq and back to NV.
    His flight was turned into a deployment flight instead of a guarding flight that he would be more than likely deploying again. And the officers that are above him, told him that he has the possibility of being deployed to another country because of the situation with his flight.

My husband was stationed in NV since june of 2007. and before that he was stationed in Korea for two years.
    He lived in the dorms up into jan of this year. And than we moved into an apartment, but gotten broken into. Then we both lived in military housing from June of 2008 till sept of 2008.. when he wanted me to move out because of money and other reasons. And I put all of our stuff in a storage unit that is about a half a mile from the base. So.. I was just thinking of maybe moving out there before he comes out.. but then I dont know about my job and I don't know about when he will actually come back.

I was thinking I want him to have a place to stay when he comes back. But he is telling me to wait. So I dunno. I just don't want to be stuck with no place to live, ya know?
  5. Senior Member
    June 2010 would be the earliest he could leave most likely (3 years) unless he gets picked for something by command recommendations... I'd go ahead and move back if thats what you want to do... If he DOES happen to get orders after he gets home you can break any lease, but at least you can be together. Good luck! Gotta love the Air Force.