Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: 3.2 million questions about moving OCONUS

  1. Stay off the grass
    privatelaun's Avatar
    privatelaun is offline
    Stay off the grass
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    489
    #1

    Help 3.2 million questions about moving OCONUS

    Advertisements
    So we're moving to Europe no idea where yet. He won't get his official orders until Oct 28 but I have lots of general questions...ok just 6 and only about 4 are legit lol. Any answers, links or info will be greatly appreciated since I am freaking out (in a good way).

    Will the Army issue me a Passport, if not how do I get one?

    Do we really need to take a car with us?

    I DO know what we need to do for the animals before we go but I DON'T know how we get them there. Can we take 2 animals?

    If I buy Rosetta Stone to learn German will it be personally delivered by Michael Phelps?

    Last but certainly not least how awesome is it living overseas?!
  2. and still I think of you
    Daysgoby's Avatar
    Daysgoby is offline
    and still I think of you
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy
    Posts
    10,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by privatelaun View Post
    So we're moving to Europe no idea where yet. He won't get his official orders until Oct 28 but I have lots of general questions...ok just 6 and only about 4 are legit lol. Any answers, links or info will be greatly appreciated since I am freaking out (in a good way).

    Will the Army issue me a Passport, if not how do I get one? Yes, go talk to the passport office and they will help you

    Do we really need to take a car with us?
    I would just b/c of the amazing things there are to see and do in Germany. unless you want to buy one when you get there
    I DO know what we need to do for the animals before we go but I DON'T know how we get them there. Can we take 2 animals?As long as you call the airline in advance to set it up

    If I buy Rosetta Stone to learn German will it be personally delivered by Michael Phelps? No, but your DH gets rosetta stone for free thru his AKO

    Last but certainly not least how awesome is it living overseas?!AMAZING!!!!!
    I answered in blue
  3. Senior Member
    Debra's Avatar
    Debra is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    20,671
    Blog Entries
    1
    #3
    I will try to answer some questions since we are also PCSing oveseas. We haven't done it yet so I can't give any BTDT advice.


    Will the Army issue me a Passport, if not how do I get one? We're Navy but will be issued free Passports for PCS only. If we want to visit other places, we have to pay for our own traditional passport.

    Do we really need to take a car with us? We are not taking any vehicles with us. We are leaving them in the states & then just buying a cheap one when we get there.

    I DO know what we need to do for the animals before we go but I DON'T know how we get them there. Can we take 2 animals? No idea since we aren't taking any!

    If I buy Rosetta Stone to learn German will it be personally delivered by Michael Phelps? NOPE! Michael Phelps only delivers to me! So sorry!

    Last but certainly not least how awesome is it living overseas?! I've heard many many good things!
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

    https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  4. Banned
    Donna's Avatar
    Donna is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    16,880
    Blog Entries
    1
    #4
    I was in high school when we lived in Germnay. I LOVED it!!!! I know we did get free passports from the military. You dont have to take a car, but then you are kinda stuck unless you buy one over there.
  5. Senior Member
    Emmy's Avatar
    Emmy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,634
    #5
    Everyone else has given you answers, but you don't really need to bring a car. In many ways it's smarter to buy one over here. You can get them cheap. Even newer cars are always being resold on base because of people PSCing all the time. We bought a brand new one and had it shipped over. I wish we would have waited and bought one here.
  6. Stay off the grass
    privatelaun's Avatar
    privatelaun is offline
    Stay off the grass
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    489
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by *Sarah* View Post
    Will the Army issue me a Passport, if not how do I get one? Yes, go talk to the passport office and they will help you
    A military passport office or an everyday passport office. We are switching from the National Guard to Army so there arn't any bases near here. Thanks for all the answers though, especially about rosetta stone thats awesome!

    Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    In many ways it's smarter to buy one over here. You can get them cheap. Even newer cars are always being resold on base because of people PSCing all the time. We bought a brand new one and had it shipped over. I wish we would have waited and bought one here.
    Very good idea thank you so much!
  7. Member
    demmert75's Avatar
    demmert75 is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    baton rouge la (me) Ft. Jackson SC (her)
    Posts
    180
    #7
    the army will provide you passports.

    when i was stationed in germany for two years i did not need a car. the public transportation system there is awsome. go to your local train station and get a eurorail pass. they are not too expensive. with that pass you can get on a train and go damn near every where in europe in a matter of hours.

    for the pets you need to contact your airline and let them know. keep in mind that once the pets get there they will be in quarentine for months.

    don't bother buying it. your husabnd will get a free copy and most europeans speak very good english. on top of that you would pick it up anyway.

    The two years i spent in germany are some of the best in my life. the only thing i regret is that i was not with my DF at the time so i could not share it with her. I hope that we get stationed there once she gets out of training next year. Europe is what you make of it. some people hate it. if you love to travel and love other cultures then you are going to have a great time. the only thing you need to watch out for is that the US dollar will not carry you far off post. buy everything you can on post. the Euro dollar is much stronger than the US dollar so becareful you do not go broke while traveling
  8. Senior Member
    *Stephanie*'s Avatar
    *Stephanie* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    JBER; Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    16,315
    #8
    Will the Army issue me a Passport, if not how do I get one?
    Yes, its called a no fee passport. Depending on where in Europe you will need a visa too, it varies on type by country. If you plan on travelling in Europe at all you should still get a tourist passport.

    Do we really need to take a car with us?
    You don't need to if you don't want to. It's definitely useful to have one. It can take up to a month and even longer to get it though once your car is shipped. DH bought a cheap car (2K) that's lasted him the last 3 years so that's always an option too.

    I DO know what we need to do for the animals before we go but I DON'T know how we get them there. Can we take 2 animals?
    I just booked my puppies on a flight to Germany. You need proof of vaccinations, vet OK and an international microchip. I have two dauschunds and they're being crated together under the plane. My airline flies animals year round with no cold weather block out.

    If I buy Rosetta Stone to learn German will it be personally delivered by Michael Phelps?
    I wish, lol

    Last but certainly not least how awesome is it living overseas?!
    DH loves it. He's been overseas 8 years, soon to be 3 more in Italy... I've visited and definitely like that aspect.. Have fun!
  9. Senior Member
    Emmy's Avatar
    Emmy is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,634
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by demmert75 View Post
    the army will provide you passports.

    when i was stationed in germany for two years i did not need a car. the public transportation system there is awsome. go to your local train station and get a eurorail pass. they are not too expensive. with that pass you can get on a train and go damn near every where in europe in a matter of hours.

    for the pets you need to contact your airline and let them know. keep in mind that once the pets get there they will be in quarentine for months.

    don't bother buying it. your husabnd will get a free copy and most europeans speak very good english. on top of that you would pick it up anyway.

    The two years i spent in germany are some of the best in my life. the only thing i regret is that i was not with my DF at the time so i could not share it with her. I hope that we get stationed there once she gets out of training next year. Europe is what you make of it. some people hate it. if you love to travel and love other cultures then you are going to have a great time. the only thing you need to watch out for is that the US dollar will not carry you far off post. buy everything you can on post. the Euro dollar is much stronger than the US dollar so becareful you do not go broke while traveling
    Germany does not have a quarantine period. England does though.

    And cars, depending on the base you may not need one. The public transportation is great here, but we need a car because my husband couldn't get from our home to the base without one.
  10. Stay off the grass
    privatelaun's Avatar
    privatelaun is offline
    Stay off the grass
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    489
    #10
    Ok you ladies are no help with this whole Michael Phelps thing geez, is it too much to ask?!

    No I really appreciate all this info so much I'm starting to calm down a bit, I'm still flipping excited.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •