Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car registration in different state?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    We PCS'd from Hawaii to San Diego. My car was shipped. My registration is gonna expire in Oct, so we need to register here in San Diego. My husbands LES says California. He has tried to change it to Arizona since March, but stupid PSD sucks here and still hasn't changed it.

So we can't do out of state residency. Right?

My questions are...

Anyone know how much we'll pay?

How do I register the car? I'm lost lol. Anyone know where I go?

Thanks!
  2. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    Hmmm I think you can just keep the car registered in HI if you want, you guys are returning, right? I think as long as you have a current registration you are ok. We've always kept out of state registration (for FL) and have had no problems. Just make sure your insurance is for CA though.
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

We've always kept our vehicles registered in SD (where my parents live) because of the low registration fees and dh drivers license being in SD. (Not to mention the great 3% sales tax on new vehicles when we buy!)
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Senior Member
    Yes we should be returning. But my registration expires in Oct. My safety inspection expires in Oct also. So would I do the safety inspection here? Does dh get an out-of-state form from his command? So we would just send the papers to Hawaii?
  5. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    Just call I guess. That's what I did for Florida. But they don't require crazy inspections,etc. They just take your money and ask where to send the sticker LOL.

Vehicle Registration Renewal http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/csd/veh...nformation.htm

If your vehicle is registered in the City and County of Honolulu and you have recently received a renewal application form, you may submit your application on-line via the World Wide Web. All on-line renewals are to be made by credit card only (VISA and MasterCard are accepted).

To renew your vehicle registration on-line and for more information, go to HONOLULU's On-Line Vehicle Registration Renewal System.

You may also renew your vehicle registration:

By mail to:

Division of Motor Vehicles and Licensing
    P.O. Box 30320
    Honolulu, Hawaii 96820-0320
    (When mailing the registration application to you, the City provides a self-addressed envelope).
    In person at any Satellite City Hall. Call 527-6695 for office hours and addresses of the Satellite City Halls.
    You may pay your fee:

By cash, check, money order, traveler's check, or cashier's check. There is a $20.00 service fee for returned checks.

But not by credit card.
  6. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    You will have to register it in CA, unless you want to be like us and fight with PSD to change residency, get residency, and then file in the other state, making your plates 3 months expired

Some examples of registration I've paid here in CA... 2002 VW Golf in 2006 was $111 for a year. 1999 Chevy 1500 was $185 for a year in 2007. And that didn't include the smog certificate that were needed.

Depending on where you are here in SD, there are DMV's everywhere. I would go to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/ to find the closet one to you. Also prepare to be there for no less then 45 minute wait time if you don't make an appointment

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Dh's 1997 Jeep is $57 a year. My van is $109. You can call the DMV and they will give you an estimate as to what you will pay to transfer the plates. I can't remember what we paid when we transferred them from MI to CA. It must not have been too much if I can't remember. You'll just have to get a smog test and the DMV will take your old plates when we get the CA one.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy_Gurl View Post
    You will have to register it in CA, unless you want to be like us and fight with PSD to change residency, get residency, and then file in the other state, making your plates 3 months expired

Some examples of registration I've paid here in CA... 2002 VW Golf in 2006 was $111 for a year. 1999 Chevy 1500 was $185 for a year in 2007. And that didn't include the smog certificate that were needed.

Depending on where you are here in SD, there are DMV's everywhere. I would go to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/ to find the closet one to you. Also prepare to be there for no less then 45 minute wait time if you don't make an appointment

Would I need anything from the military to register?
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If you want to avoid the DMV they have an on base vehicle registration service, it will cost extra. There is one at 32nd streets autoport and one in Point Loma's autoport. Here is the phone number. 619-645-6331
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piggypunkinetta View Post
    Dh's 1997 Jeep is $57 a year. My van is $109. You can call the DMV and they will give you an estimate as to what you will pay to transfer the plates. I can't remember what we paid when we transferred them from MI to CA. It must not have been too much if I can't remember. You'll just have to get a smog test and the DMV will take your old plates when we get the CA one.
    Where do I get a smog test at?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast