Thread: PCS with no information?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    He's in AIT in Alabama and I'm in Port Angeles, WA
    Blog Entries

Confused PCS with no information?

Advertisements
    Hi everyone,

I posted this in the Newbie section as well and someone there suggested I post the same question here too.

I'm new to the message board and newly married to an active duty army but an old army brat. I don't remember my parents ever having as much problem PCSing as we are having. He's supposed to report to Wheeler AAF, Hawaii Nov 30th and we don't even know if this is accompanied or how long he's going to be there. He's in AIT now and finishes school in 3 weeks (and has 2 weeks in the field and at finance etc) but we have a house that we have to sell before we go (we've tried to rent it out and it's so far out in the country, no one wants to rent it with gas prices so high) and we can't get enough in rent to cover the house payment anyway.

He went and tried to get a power of attorney for me but the idiot he talked to just gave him horror stories about wives who fleece soldiers for everything they have by getting a power of attorney and wouldn't give him one.

No one will tell me anything now. His S-1 says quit bothering him. We have two dogs (puppies still) we have to take that will require quaranteen and that costs 1180.00 per dog. No, we can't leave them, we can't have kids and they are our kids. They are AKC registered and we are breeding them so they will pay for themselves but since we don't know if I'm going or not, we don't know whether to prepare for that. There are lots of shots for them and forms and fees to be submitted.

So, we have 9 weeks before we have to report in Hawaii and all we know is his AKO account assignment key says Wheeler AAF Hawaii by 11/30/08. What's wrong with this picture.

Any suggestions anyone?
    Fearless, loyal, true
    Soldiers fierce as winter wind
    Keep freedom for us

2. Senior Member
    uh...something is seriously wrong here. He should NOT be left in the dark like this.
    when we PCSed out here DH's command wasnt that great at helping us, but he HAD to find a way to get some information. Your DH needs to be persistent about getting the info yall need.
    About the quarentine thing, we moved out here with 2 puppies also. How old are yours? Usually puppies have to be 10 months before they meet all the requirements for earl release. They need all health records up to date, 2 rabies shots and the FAVN blood test. This process takes a little while so get looking into it.
    hope everything comes together for you!
  3. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    It's most likely because he's in AIT, and it's the first move. Those ones are always screwed up with everything left until the last minute. I guess it sort of has to be that way because if he ends up not graduating, he'll need to be held back at the school or change MOS's and won't be going to that duty station anyway. So it all has to be sort of left up in the air until last minute.

When DH was in A-school, we had no idea where he was going until just before he graduated. He graduated during summer when a bunch of admin where on vacation, so his whole class' orders were held up for weeks. He was there just doing a bunch of stupid work while he waited for whoever to get back and cut his orders so he could finally leave. I don't think he got his orders in hand until a day or 2 before he was finally able to leave there, got 2 weeks of leave to move, and it was at that point we got to see exactly what he orders said in regards to being accompanied, and when he had to report. But it wasn't such a big deal for us because we didn't own a house, I was living with my parents at that point until our move, and we were doing a DITY move, so we didn't have anything to set up.

But if he already has a report date, he should be able to get a copy of his hard orders which will have the info on it about it being accompanied or not, etc. Also, he needs to go back and tell him he needs a POA and WHY and MAKE them give him one (I'm assuming it's so you guys can sell your house). Let them know it's not some random one for you to just have but you need it for whatever reason for your move. If they still tell him no, ask to speak to someone higher up.

To set up your move, he's going to need to take his hard copy orders to personal property and set up your move ASAP. So that's another reason he'll need them. One reason he might not have them yet though, is that they're not ready yet because he's still in school.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Bang Head Persistence is a dead end

He has gone to his S-1 over and over and they say the same thing. "You're wasting my time", "You will know when we tell you", "Get out" It's just stupid. The Puppies will be 1 year (our male) and 10 months (our female) when we go. We only had time for 1 rabies shot so they will spend 120 days in quarentine. It's ok, that's the breaks, like I said, we are breeding them later so we will get that money back. They are Miniature Schnauzers.

I know we need to know something. I did go to Ft. Lewis and got my 5888, and two other forms I needed to have submitted in for my screening and such. His S-1 wouldn't give him the forms and he has to sign them.

I've started packing anyway. My father is convinced that anyone under E-4 and on first PCS doesn't get an accompanied tour but he hasn't been in the army in 25 years so I hope he's wrong. I've also tried emailing relocation at Ft. Lewis but the email keeps bouncing back as undelieverable and when I call, I'm either on hold forever (like over an hour) and get disconnected or if I get through, the first words out of their mouths are do you have a power of attorney? We can't talk to you.

Whats a POA?

There's got to be a better way.
    Last edited by snowyegret; 09-28-2008 at 11:30 PM.
    Fearless, loyal, true
    Keep freedom for us

5. Senior Member
    POA - Power of Attorney.

I'm sorry you're having to go thru all of this.
  6. Living in paradise :D
    My father is convinced that anyone under E-4 and on first PCS doesn't get an accompanied tour
    He is wrong. But as to whether you are on his orders or not, you'll have to wait and see. And if they're not giving them to him yet, it sounds like either they don't have them ready yet, or he's not supposed to have them yet because he's still in school. And he can't do anything about your move until he has them in hand.

The whole first move from his home of record will be THE most messed up and miserable one. Nothing will go right because things are done last minute and since it's your first move, you won't know exactly what to do.

BTW, you might want to edit out the exact date he's supposed to report especially since you're saying the exact base and his last name (and you might even want to edit out his last name for PERSEC reasons).

Oh, and he can go to legal on his own to get the POA. It might help if he asks for a specific POA for say selling your house so you need it to use now and they still won't give him one, then ask for someone higher up.
  7. Senior Member
    It sound slike he has a RIP that means they know where he is going but not everything else. he should get "hard orders" a couple weeks before grad.
  8. Living in paradise :D
    I've started packing anyway.
    I just thought of something with this. I don't think there's a way to do a Do-It-Yourself-Move (DITY) move since it's to Hawaii. They will send movers to your house to pack it all for you and get it shipped to Hawaii. For them to cover any loses you may have during your move, the MOVERS will have to pack it for you. So you're wasting your time packing. The movers will unpack your packed boxes and repack them OR put a "packed by owner" label on it and should it be damaged in transit, you will not be reimbursed for damages since they don't know if you packed it properly or not.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Legal is who gave the raft of @$@# about getting any kind of POA. He went there on his own and they wouldn't do it.

I took your advice and removed his name. Thanks
    Fearless, loyal, true
    Keep freedom for us

10. Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    with your dogs--i suggest you start the quarintine now! You can have the dogs rabies done 90 days apart. They will need a rabies titer done befor ethey can go out there as well. also the sooner you get this done the less time they will have to spend in quarintine!

i am going through this with my cats right now!

here are some web sites that will help you!
    Dog & Cat Import form (you will need one fo reach animal and they must be noterized)
    http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/AQS-278.pdf
    Infor on quarintine with links
    http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info
    http://www.yourmilitaryinhawaii.com/pdf/animal.pdf

I hope you can find all that you will need in those links fo ryour animals.

Most likely his orders will not be "hard" till he finishes training then things will start to fall into place. just make sure your ducks are in order there with you and everything will be fine.

good luck
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast