Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: DITY questions

1. Senior Member

DITY questions

Advertisements
    This is our 2nd PCS and our 1st one was the one from hell. I'd rather start knowing how things work and trying to prepare and have a game plan this time.

I was reading some older threads and saw that you make your money off weight. What happens if you are under your weight estimate? Or over?

Also how exactly does the partial work? I need a PCS for dummies book
  2. Loving my soldier since '96
    Loving my soldier since '96
    http://forum.militarysos.com/showthread.php?t=185022 This one helped me A LOT.

We did a DITY to come here. We think we want the next one to be a DITY also. There is money to be made.

http://www.ditymovers.com/dityprogram/dityprogram.php This website was really helpful also.

PM if you have any questions. Right now, my brain is one cruise control. Honestly the move wasnt that bad but then again it was only a 8 hour move. We did it with a truck, our truck, 3 kids, and a dog.

P.S. You have to get the truck weighted before loaded and after at a certified weight station.
    (Disclaimer: The following information is coming from a Army wife who doesn't actually know any specifics 100%. Often told to her by husband or other wise ones. Though, they all will admit that at times they dont know the specifics neither. The information received should be considered unstable and possibly flammable. Do not disseminate. )
  3. Senior Member
    Thanks! We have 2 cars to move but DH is thinking of getting a uhaul and towing the 2nd car

I mapquested the drive and it's only 17 hours from here to Ft.Leavenworth.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I did not read the link so if duplicate anything apologize:

PPM ( personal procured Moves - formerly known as DITY) are based on weight and distance- each AD member is allocated XX amount of weight based on With or With out dependants ( not how many)

when you do a PPM you will "estimate" that weight with out going over the allocated MAX;
    say you "think" you have 6,000 lbs and are allowed 8,000. they will estimate you payment on the 6,000 ( always best to estimate low) - they will give you 60% of the estimate in advance so you have some cash to pay for the truck, boxes ect.

if you estimate too high the advance will be high- and the balance owed will be lower ( way lower)
    if you go over your allowed you will pay out of pocket for it.

a Partial PPM and a FULL PPM' weight are figured together - so if you partial 2,000 lbs, full 7,000 lbs and you are allowed 8,000 lbs they will only pay the weight for 1,000 lbs. Make sense so far?

here is a very little known fact about second cars and shipping- even tho the military will not ship your second car - they will reimburse part of the cost if you ship it- you will set it up, and pay for it and after the move file a travel claim to get reimbursed part of the cost. but since it is only 17 hours it may not be cost effective for you to do that.

the car ( the one you tow) cannot be weighed like HHG's but the dolly you use to tow it can be used for a deduction.

HTH's