Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Whats the difference?

1. Stay off the grass
    Stay off the grass

Whats the difference?

Advertisements
    Between TDY and PCS?

I know what the both stand for but what do they mean? I assumed we would be PCSing but we arn't at a base so I guess we arn't doing that. He was told it would be TDY, does that mean we will be going to someplace for a short time? I'm so confused, sorry if this is a stupid question.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    A TDY is usually unaccompanied. It's shorter than a PCS, and you receive TDY pay and family separation pay, if what I've heard is correct. You can go to his location, but the military will not pay for you to go there or back to your permanent station.

PS It's not a stupid question. Military life can be very confusing.
  3. Senior Member

I thought TDY was a temporary assigment to somplace else then you come back to where you were before and PCS was permanent move to a new place.
    ETA : ok, the first time I read your post hjwilson1119 it didn't make sense... LOL My mind is not functioning, I need to go lay down for a bit.
  4. Stay off the grass
    Stay off the grass
    We don't have a permanent station though, or at least I don't think we do. He is going from the National Guard and going active army. I don't want our first move to be unaccompanied because I don't have anywhere to live well not that the military knows or cares. I sure as hell am not staying with his mother, bleh. Well I'm not going to freak out yet because he hasn't gotten orders yet so we have no idea whats going on yet.

Thanks though that will help when we do find out whats going on. DH barely knows alot of the terms and military folk throw them around and don't tell him what it all means.
  5. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    TDY - Temporary Duty: Upon completion of duty, he returns to his duty station.
    PCS - Permanent Change of Station: This is basically a transfer to a new duty station, i.e. leaving one base/post/air station for a new home at a new base.

Hopefully this can also help
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/trave...titlements.htm

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  6. Banned
    Banned
    for you OP it will be a PCS- you are making a permenant change of stations- ( LOL ok so not so permenant but that is what they call it )

even for first time moves it is called a PCS.

unless he gets a restricted overseas assignment you will get to go.

HTH's
  7. Stay off the grass
    Stay off the grass
    Thank you both for that I can stop freaking out now lol. Also thanks for the link, now I can see what alot of these mean not just stand for. My brain feels like its full of alphabits cereal