Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Putting in preferences, need opinions...

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Putting in preferences, need opinions...

Advertisements
    We are putting in our preferences for our next duty staion. I was just curious to see if anyone in the Navy has been stationed in Hawaii or Colorado Springs. If so, how did you like your time there? Was it was for you (and if applicable your childern) to acclaimate to the area?

We have really only ever been on the Eat Coast until we moved here to CA for graduate school. Any advice would be much appreciated!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I am not Navy but I can vouche for the worthiness of Colorado Springs and personally, would not want my family to live there, ever.

I know there are a LOT of Hawaii people on here, though, so for you!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by militaryfam View Post
    We are putting in our preferences for our next duty staion. I was just curious to see if anyone in the Navy has been stationed in Hawaii or Colorado Springs. If so, how did you like your time there? Was it was for you (and if applicable your childern) to acclaimate to the area?

We have really only ever been on the Eat Coast until we moved here to CA for graduate school. Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Hawaii can be great, but if you're having any sort of financial problems (like high debt), you should reconsider going there. Also, you need to realize that it's entirely possible that you may get there and not leave the island for the whole three years you're stationed there, iif your personal situation won't allow for traveling.

You'd think that living in Hawaii would be wonderful and amazing, and for a while it is, but at some point almost everyone gets Rock Fever. No matter how beautiful it is, it's still one rock stuck in the middle of the ocean, and if you can't travel relatively frequently (including returning to the Mainland to visit), it can get pretty frustrating.

Although seriously, if I had to choose between Hawaii and Colorado Springs, I think I'd be equally happy with either one.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Hawaii can be great, but if you're having any sort of financial problems (like high debt), you should reconsider going there. Also, you need to realize that it's entirely possible that you may get there and not leave the island for the whole three years you're stationed there, iif your personal situation won't allow for traveling.

You'd think that living in Hawaii would be wonderful and amazing, and for a while it is, but at some point almost everyone gets Rock Fever. No matter how beautiful it is, it's still one rock stuck in the middle of the ocean, and if you can't travel relatively frequently (including returning to the Mainland to visit), it can get pretty frustrating.

Although seriously, if I had to choose between Hawaii and Colorado Springs, I think I'd be equally happy with either one.

we're in HI now, it's ok. I know that most girls on SOS love it though!
    We've only been here for 6 months and we're already tired of being here. And the most frustrating thing to us is that flights back to the mainland are SO expensive...$2000 for both of us!
    The beaches are definitely beautiful, though!
  5. You can call me Night hawk.
    You can call me Night hawk.
    hawaii would be quite the experiance. but, everyone i've ever talked to has said colorado is beautiful. depends what kind of scenary you both like.
    [CENTER]
    [FONT="Tahoma"]

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Colorado Springs is beautiful! I love being in the metro area. We have been to the Air base there and it is nice. Plus, in just a few min you are out of the metro into peaceful, clear, wildlife.

We miss that area.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Stay off the grass
    Stay off the grass
    DH and I have been discussing HI too. Personally if we get to go I'm going to take it slowly. I'm not going to treat the first year like a vacation and do all the touristy things. I would just be happy to be able to see the ocean again. I don't think I would get sick of that. Then again my current situation I would rather be stuck on a hawaiian island than podunkville kentucky (where I am now)
  8. Do fairytales ever come true?
    Do fairytales ever come true?
    Virginia Beach Va (hubby is on USS Bataan)
    Blog Entries
    hawaii!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/url]
  9. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    We love Hawaii. We are so happy we decided to come here! We are at Pearl Harbor.

Eelo is right though, if you have any financial problems, I'd avoid here. You do get COLA which helps but you need to save it for trying to fly off the island LOL. It seems like everyone I know who has lots of bills really struggles here. Gas is still $4.12 here on base.

What kind of climate do you like? Hawaii is best described as being balmy and breezy everyday. Our weather barely changes the whole year. There is SO much to do here, and getting to the other islands really expands your travel options. But nothing takes away from the fact that the Hawaiian Island are the most isolated in the world, no lie!! Living in Hawaii is considered OCONUS and some ladies get homesick bad, since it's often hard to afford to go visit family because of the cost of tickets.

I don't know anything about CO Springs.