Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Trying to stay positive

1. Me Michigan. Him Texas.
    Me Michigan. Him Texas.

Trying to stay positive

Advertisements
    DB just got his orders as to where he will be going after Technical School.

Japan.. here he comes.

This is going to be tough, i need some advice from those of you who have done overseas... because this was not what we were expecting at all... it is the exact opposite of the plan we have been forming since he joined.

How do you talk, since they have such a different timezone (i'm in MI.) I hear about Skype and Vonage.. Which is better? i just need any advice possible!

Also, he is going on tour is what he says, i don't know whether this is is permanent duty station or if its just him going on tour? He claims he will be there for 3 1/2 years (until his first 4 years is up) but he doesn't know if he is sure about that. He doesn't want to be there for the whole time because it's so far away from home... and he wants to request a transfer as soon as he can, does anyone know anything about that? I just wish i had something to tell him. How long do tours usually last?

If you've been to Japan (Kadena AFB) let me know how it is and everything!! Also, if you have your SO in Japan, i'd love to know how you deal with it...

Thanks in advance!

Distance can't separate two hearts that really care
    4/28/07 <3
  2. Loving and missing my overseas Airman!
    Loving and missing my overseas Airman!
    I don't know much about overseas tours, but my fiance just got sent to the UK for his first duty station. We are going to use Skype to communicate (as soon as he gets the internet). I don't believe that the tour for Japan is any longer then 2 years. Then he would be transfered elsewhere. I take it he is in the Air Force and I do know that there is a possibility that he could TDY which is temporary duty stations and he could be sent to many other bases during his tour in Japan. I could be wrong on some of this information since I am really new and still learning, but this is some of the things I have learned recenetly. I hope that this helps a little. Feel free to contact me if you need anything!
  3. Senior Member
    I heart skype... I would also think his tour would be 2 years like most unaccompanied overseas tours for the USAF... and they will move him back after. Oh yeah, DH is a pro on overseas tours while married and single... so if you have any questions ask... We just had a friend of ours (a MSgt in his group) go there. Feel free to PM me!!! DH did 4 1/2 years at a remote base in Germany, year in Korea and now is in Germany again and is starting Italy in Feb... lol. Feel free to ask questions... We live apart to so seriously... PM ME!
  4. "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    PM me if you would like. i have a TON of things i did while my exDF is in Japan ...i had dealt with him being over there for a year and 9 months i would say..so if you need anything let me know.
  5. Senior Member
    Skype rocks. When DH is deployed that's what we use. Kadena is pretty decent from what I've heard. DH did one deployment there and I've known a lot of people who went there. It's a pretty decent base from what I hear. There are a lot worse places he could be!
  6. Me Michigan. Him Texas.
    Me Michigan. Him Texas.
    oh gosh- i would love to talk to some of you- but i really have no idea what pming is- hahha, i'm still really new to this site!!!!!

I really appreciate the feedback!

Distance can't separate two hearts that really care
    4/28/07 <3
  7. Married to a Naval Officer
    Married to a Naval Officer
    You could have him get Vonage or any other VoiP so he can call you and his family anytime. I think it's $25 plus taxes for unlimited calling. Just so he can call you or you can call him even if you're out.

I've learned that in the military very soon after my husband entered the Navy. He requested California, we got sent to Jacksonville, FL.