Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: first move from AIT...questions

  1. Senior Member
    Katrina628's Avatar
    Katrina628 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    562
    #1

    Question first move from AIT...questions

    Advertisements
    Some of you may remember me asking questions before about moving to Germany, well my DH's orders (according to AKO account) have changed to Ft Bragg...anyway I'm just wondering how exactly everything works. Like how much time will my DH get here at home before we have to report to NC? His report date is one week before Thanksgiving. Does report date mean when he actually starts his "job" or when he has to start his in-processing? He only has about 2 1/2 more weeks of things to do at AIT then he is finished I'm just wondering how soon he might get his paper orders....will he be able to take leave? What about home town recruiting? ALso how much travel time do we get? We will be driving alittle less than 1,000 miles. What types of moving allowances do we get? ANd finally housing....once we get to Ft Bragg, do we just stay in a hotel/on post lodging for a while? If so what happens with all of our stuff that will be moved there until we get a house? Do we go to housing and get put on a waiting list or just look for a place off post on our own? I'm so new to all this Army stuff, lol. I would appreciate ANY advice anyone can give me!!

    Thanks!



    "I love you more than I can say, I can't even fathom the words" - DH
  2. Senior Member
    Katrina628's Avatar
    Katrina628 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    562
    #2
    anyone?



    "I love you more than I can say, I can't even fathom the words" - DH
  3. lord help us all!
    FuzzyToaster's Avatar
    FuzzyToaster is offline
    lord help us all!
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,649
    #3
    ok, only some people get hometown recruiting, and each AIT seems to do it differently. so that all depends on his class. i believe dh got about a week at home, which was leave he took if i remember right. the number of days you are given for moving depends on the distance, we moved from the st. louis area to fort hood. we got 2 or 3 days. as far as housing goes, go in as soon as you can and every single day! or it will take forever to get! you will have to stay in a hotel or post lodging until then. they reimburse you for 1 or 2 weeks. if they move you (come and pack your stuff) once you get housing you will call and you get your stuff within like 2 weeks. so get an air matress and some lawn chairs. a laptop and some movies help too! ummm sorry i can't remember exact info. i have preggo brain lol
  4. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrina628 View Post
    Some of you may remember me asking questions before about moving to Germany, well my DH's orders (according to AKO account) have changed to Ft Bragg...anyway I'm just wondering how exactly everything works. Like how much time will my DH get here at home before we have to report to NC? His report date is one week before Thanksgiving. Does report date mean when he actually starts his "job" or when he has to start his in-processing? He only has about 2 1/2 more weeks of things to do at AIT then he is finished I'm just wondering how soon he might get his paper orders....will he be able to take leave? What about home town recruiting? ALso how much travel time do we get? We will be driving alittle less than 1,000 miles. What types of moving allowances do we get? ANd finally housing....once we get to Ft Bragg, do we just stay in a hotel/on post lodging for a while? If so what happens with all of our stuff that will be moved there until we get a house? Do we go to housing and get put on a waiting list or just look for a place off post on our own? I'm so new to all this Army stuff, lol. I would appreciate ANY advice anyone can give me!!

    Thanks!
    as for the moving stuff: he should get "travel days" to get you to your new duty station ( PDS)..

    1,000 miles ( this is Authorised miles) you will get 3 days to get there-
    1,000 divided by 350= 2.85 days.
    you will get Per diem- it is 109 for AD member, 75% for you and dependants over 12 and 50% for dependants under 12, per day.

    I assume by your siggies that you have one child: the per diem will be:
    109 x 3= 327.00
    81.75 x 3= 245.25
    41.75 x 3= 163.50
    _______________

    total per diem: 735.75

    per diem covers hotel food and incedentals ENROUTE to the new PDS.

    you will get MALT- mileage in leiu of transprtation at 27 cents for each authorised mile
    27 x 1000= 270.00 for gas and wear and tear.


    you will get TLE: temporary lodging expense: this for a hotel stay st the old and or new PDS locations, and is for 10 days total- this allowance varies by location and can never exceed 180 per day per family and this covers hotel costs, food and incedentals.

    HTH's
  5. Senior Member
    Katrina628's Avatar
    Katrina628 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    562
    #5
    this helps a ton! thanks! but i have 2 litle girls. so i just added to that total you gave me.

    do we also get DLA? (i think tha's what it's called, lol)



    "I love you more than I can say, I can't even fathom the words" - DH
  6. Senior Member
    Katrina628's Avatar
    Katrina628 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    562
    #6
    also, do we get this in advance? or is this something we get reimbursed for?



    "I love you more than I can say, I can't even fathom the words" - DH
  7. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrina628 View Post
    this helps a ton! thanks! but i have 2 litle girls. so i just added to that total you gave me.

    do we also get DLA? (i think tha's what it's called, lol)
    LOL yes just add the second 50% for the second child!!

    and yes as long as you move with him you will get DLA. ALso you will get DLA even if you move into GOV housing or PPV.
  8. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrina628 View Post
    also, do we get this in advance? or is this something we get reimbursed for?

    yes most branches allow you to get SOME of it up front- I would ask for 100% of the DLA and 80% of the MALT and per Diem upfront.

    do you know about the Partial PPM ( partial DITY)??
  9. Senior Member
    Katrina628's Avatar
    Katrina628 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    562
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    yes most branches allow you to get SOME of it up front- I would ask for 100% of the DLA and 80% of the MALT and per Diem upfront.

    do you know about the Partial PPM ( partial DITY)??
    i really don't know alot about anything to do with this move, lol
    any info you can give me is greatly appreciated



    "I love you more than I can say, I can't even fathom the words" - DH
  10. Missin' my baby girl
    kellsies_mom's Avatar
    kellsies_mom is offline
    Missin' my baby girl
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    me ny / him tx
    Posts
    2,334
    #10
    If you want to live off post, a great site that we used was americanrentals.biz that is where we found both houses we rented here in fayetteville.
    everyone else answered your questions pretty good.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •