Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Filing Claims on Damaged HHG

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Filing Claims on Damaged HHG

Advertisements
    Okay, I need to get this taken care of. They broke my brand new electric turkey fryer, lost our computer desk, I have some water damage on the bottom of my new sofa, and lots of things like broken glasses, missing water tank on our carpet cleaner, missing container on my coffee grinder, etc.

I'm at a loss as to how to go about filing a claim. I went to the smartwebmove site, and it says that I have to contact my "carrier".

This is looking so complicated and convoluted that I'm almost willing to just eat our losses and pay for the stuff myself. I'm sure this is what they have in mind.
  2. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I'd contact the company on the inventory papers... they give you up to 120 days to file the claim (at least the company who moved us in did) and you can contest anything that arrived in different condition than was noted on the inventory.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

3. Banned
    Banned
    OK the paperwork they left with you when they delivered your HHGs should have the info you need on it as far as who to contact. You have 60 days (we did, anyway) to file claims. I think you can call the transportation office and get the info you need from them as well, but I'm not sure.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Okay, the pink papers, correct?

Do they typically give you a lot of hassle on items that were discovered to be broken or missing after the delivery? There was so much stuff being unpacked and just tossed aside that I didn't know things like the water damage and the missing piece to the grinder until after the fact.

One more question, do I need to include anything like cost of repairs or replacement costs, or will they handle all of that? They lost a major piece to our entertainment center (they documented that), but Best Buy know longer carries the item.

Thanks you guys. I'll just fill out the papers and send it back to the company certified mail.

I cannot believe all of the damage to our stuff! The movers looked so careful while they were packing us up.
  5. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
    Okay, the pink papers, correct?

Do they typically give you a lot of hassle on items that were discovered to be broken or missing after the delivery? There was so much stuff being unpacked and just tossed aside that I didn't know things like the water damage and the missing piece to the grinder until after the fact.

One more question, do I need to include anything like cost of repairs or replacement costs, or will they handle all of that? They lost a major piece to our entertainment center (they documented that), but Best Buy know longer carries the item.

Thanks you guys. I'll just fill out the papers and send it back to the company certified mail.

I cannot believe all of the damage to our stuff! The movers looked so careful while they were packing us up.

the pink slips they handed you after you signed for your HHGs. We have never claimed anything, since (knock on wood) things arrived in the same condition they were loaded in. I've only had a few things broken in our 8 yrs. and 3 moves together. The things that went "missing" somehow weren't included in the inventory. G lost over $150 in pool accessories (cue, glove and an expensive case) when we moved from Groton back to TX.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

6. Banned
    Banned
    The only things I had missing were strange: a hand mixer, a silicone cupcake tray, and a spatula...

So I didn't even bother filing the claim. However, we were told that they will give you a comparable adjustment based on how old your item was and how much it cost at the time. SO hopefully you are able to get something good from that, but probably not

Oh and the movers that packed you might have been very careful, but they take it to a warehouse and reload it or store it x amnt of time until they can reload it into a delivering truck, then that truck moves your things to the new house and it's a new team that unloads everything. In our case it was two separate moving companies that loaded/unloaded, so the ones that got your belongings on the receiving end may have been the jerks that broke everything. I'm sorry that happened to you.
  7. Senior Member
    We tried to claim some things once and since we didn't save the entire boxes and the packing paper etc, it was a no go. Supposedly the minute you find a broken thing you have to immediately stop unpacking that box for good and leave it be.....setting it aside for claim. Who does that?? NOT me, that's who!