Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: home state?

1. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Exclamation home state?

Advertisements
    So when you've PCSed and you know you'll be there for a long...long...long time....do you claim residency in that state or the state you came from? I think it'd be a hassle after a while to always have an out of state drivers license/registration/license plates etc.

what about you ladies?

2. Carolina Girls...BEST in the World!
    Carolina Girls...BEST in the World!
    I still have my all my NC stuff (driver's license, tags, registration). I refuse to get California stuff, costs wayyyy too much for me! If it comes down to it and I have to, I will. But until then, I'm not!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I have to change residency if I am working in the state I am living in. Illegal to do otherwise. DH leaves his residency in Texas.
  4. Senior Member
    I have to change residency because I work. DH leaves his residency in WA because there is no income tax there. And as a civilian you are legally supposed to change your license in almost very state. You have about 30 days usually. Can't think of the states where you don't have to change it.
    Needs work.
  5. Eternal Member
    Eternal Member
    Depends on if your home state taxes. Only ones I know for sure are MI and TX cause husband's from MI and I used to live in TX. Husband still claims MI as his home state, so even though we're in UT, he doesn't pay state taxes.
  6. Carolina Girls...BEST in the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. CJ View Post
    I still have my all my NC stuff (driver's license, tags, registration). I refuse to get California stuff, costs wayyyy too much for me! If it comes down to it and I have to, I will. But until then, I'm not!
    I guess I should elaborate a little more than I did, my car is not even in my name nor my DH's name. So, I wouldn't even know where to begin to get CA stuff for my car being that it isn't in my name.
  7. Married to a Naval Officer
    Married to a Naval Officer
    If you're moving to CA, by law, you need to get a CA driver license whether you're working or not. Your DH can keep his current license. You said your car isn't in your DH's name. Does it even have a base decal? If it doesn't, that might be a problem with the registration. You can only get a base decal for vehicles owned by your DH. And they only exempt active military owned vehicles from local registration. Registration in CA is very expensive and that doesn't include tight emission tests so if you can work the ownership and registration where you're at right now, try to do it. We kept our Florida tags and DH kept his Florida License.
  8. Carolina Girls...BEST in the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by amdo_wife View Post
    If you're moving to CA, by law, you need to get a CA driver license whether you're working or not. Your DH can keep his current license. You said your car isn't in your DH's name. Does it even have a base decal? If it doesn't, that might be a problem with the registration. You can only get a base decal for vehicles owned by your DH. And they only exempt active military owned vehicles from local registration. Registration in CA is very expensive and that doesn't include tight emission tests so if you can work the ownership and registration where you're at right now, try to do it. We kept our Florida tags and DH kept his Florida License.
    I already live in CA and I do have base decals. I had no problem getting the decals. I said if I had to I would get my CA stuff if needed. No need to get all catty about it.
  9. Married to a Naval Officer
    Married to a Naval Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by amdo_wife View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. CJ View Post
    I already live in CA and I do have base decals. I had no problem getting the decals. I said if I had to I would get my CA stuff if needed. No need to get all catty about it.
    Did I miss something? What did I say?
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I switched in WY because I worked there. I did switch here also because it was to much of a hassle to get renewed in WY. I don't work here so it doesn't really matter.

They are trying to get a law passed that you don't have to switch if you are a dependent. Haven't taken place.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast