Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First time PCS'ing

1. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries

First time PCS'ing

Advertisements
    Dh and I are going to be doing our 1st PCS in March. We're moving to San Diego, and are so excited about it. But, what all should we do? We have no idea, as he's never had a family before, so we're up in the air with what steps to take.
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsHartman08 View Post
    Dh and I are going to be doing our 1st PCS in March. We're moving to San Diego, and are so excited about it. But, what all should we do? We have no idea, as he's never had a family before, so we're up in the air with what steps to take.
    Once he has hard-copy orders, he'll need to get an appointment at the Housing/Relocation/Household Goods office. You should go to the appointment with him- they'll tell you everything you need to know about your move, and they'll set up a date for the movers to come.

You might want to get an Express Shipment of things you think you'll need right away, and leave the rest for the full HHG shipment. The people at the HHG office are very knowledgeable and helpful, and they can make suggestions regarding what you can or can't send in the shipment(s).
  3. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Take pics of EVERYTHING. I really mean everything. Furniture, books, toys, electronics, serial numbers of electronics, etc. Make an inventory of each room that includes the seriel numbers or make & model of each item. Find all your receipts for said items.

Ensure that you have POA's for housing, household goods, DEERS, tricare and anything else essential. Do not count on your DH being able to do and sign everything.

Have you checked into the waitlist for housing on post? Have you looked into off post housing?

I think USAA has a full checklist on their website you can use. Or Military One Source.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.