Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCSing to Germany ? about leave

1. Senior Member

Question PCSing to Germany ? about leave

Advertisements
    My husband is still at ft gordon for his AIT, but we found out his week that he is going to be stationed in Germany. I was wondering if anyone knows how much leave or travel time we might have to get there?

As far as getting to Germany, does the Army take care of booking our flight and pay for it? I'm so new to this, but I want to have everything taken care of in advance. I have 3 months til we leave.

and feel free to give me any other info i may need to know about PCSing for the first time...i'm still in shock that our first move is to Germany.

Thanks.

"I love you more than I can say, I can't even fathom the words" - DH
  2. Senior Member
    We had 15 days. But it wasn't our first base, so you might have more time. We left on May 1st and he had to report to work on May 15th.

Yes they will book the flight, but he has to go to the office and fill out the paperwork for them to do it. They usually put it on his travel card.
  3. bailliesbags
    can't answer your ? about leave, but yes the military pays for your flight and such.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    You will also need your overseas screening to be done prior to leaving or you will have to stay behind until it is done
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  5. bailliesbags
    Unless you are lucky like me (hehehe). Ok don't plan on luck, have dh get in and get the check list so you can get your EFMP screening done and get your passports and such.
  6. Senior Member
    do my kids have to get passports? and medical screenings?
    what else do i need to do? i want to try & get everything taken care of so we can go when my dh goes there. i've never been on a plane before...i'd hate to have to go after DH and alone with 2 kids under 4..flying overseas, omg..that scraes me.

7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

do my kids have to get passports? Yes, you will need to get passports for them. The can travel on a military visa, however if you plan ton doing some traveling around Europe, it is best just to get them regular passports
    and medical screenings?Yes, Everyone will need to get medical and dental clearances to be able to go
    what else do i need to do? Your DH should organise all the shipping for your furniture and also your tickets

As far as leave is concerned, depending on his report date, you may be able to take leave in route. He will need to check with his comand as to how many days travel he can get, but they will also give him a few days off for packing and stuff. Comming straight from AIT, he may get longer. You will also get about 10 days when you get there to look for a place to live. I strongly suggest that you contact housing at your new base as soon as you get paper orders and get on the wait list. Good Luck sweetie

8. ProudArmyWifeD
    Last edited by ProudArmyWifeD; 01-06-2010 at 12:01 PM.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudArmyWifeD View Post
    Yep, get your passports, NOW. It's always a good thing to have a passport - I am never without mine.

If you don't live near a military health facility, you can get the EFMP screening form (you can print it out from the web, I think, or have one faxed to you from the nearest base) and take it to your primary care physician. You need that done for you and the kids.

Get all of your medical records and bring them with you.

Have your husband make sure to set up the moving details - the movers will come and pack up your unaccompanied baggage first and then your household goods.

Set aside things you will need in the even that your household goods take a month or so to get there. Meaning - anything for your children, a TV, seasonal clothes for at least a month after you get there, and anything you can't live without. That is your unaccompanied baggage.

We PCSed to Germany right out of AIT as well. My husband was allowed I think 18 days of leave so he could come home to us and we all moved together.

We put our name on the housing list as soon as we got here. We spent five weeks (yes weeks) in the hotel (me, my husband and a baby in a hotel room with a microwave and small fridge) before we moved to temporary housing and then a few months later got our house. At our post you have to live on post or in build to lease housing (military owned).

Make sure your husband's orders say "accompanied" and yes, the military pays for and arranges your travel. When you get to the airport over here you go to the USO office and someone will pick you up and take you to your post.

Good luck, feel free to PM me if you have other questions! Ps - where are you going to be in Germany?
    thanks, that answers some of my questions!!

as far as his orders saying "accompanied" can i see this on his AKO account or just on the paper orders? he hasn't got the paper orders yet because he hasn't finished AIT. i'm thinking it is accompanied though because he said they already had a briefing about PCSing to Germany and he already has some paperwork for me to take to the dr.

we are going to Grafenwoehr...where are you?