Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First PCS

1. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Help First PCS

Advertisements
    Ok ladies. Where do I even start? I have 2 months....we are planning on base housing. Who do we contact to get on a list? Also, when do you schedule the move? So much to think about and all my husband does is look at me like and

2. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    COME ON PEOPLE! You guys can't tell me you don't know anything about it. 90% of you ladies have done this!

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    he should get a checklist, most of it gives you a timeline, and such... erm, i forget its been 2 years.

4. Tiffykins30
    I just went through this 3.5 months ago, so I can only give you what I went through, and we only had 2 weeks. It was also our first PCS as a family/married couple.

Contact your current base TMO office (traffice management office) They will schedule the move. They will also give you a guide on what the rules are, weight allowances for PCS moves are available through a google search as well, I think it's even on www.militaryonesource.com Google the base you are going to, find the housing office phone number, if you can't find that number call the base operator, they will direct you. Ask them what you need to do to get on the housing list (we opted out of base housing here).

Anyways, make copies of orders, marriage certificates, medical records, school records and vaccine records(if you have children).

I packed my very personal items that I did not feel comfortable with complete strangers handling, all of my jewelry went with me personally in our safe. I bought 2 large manilla clasp envelopes, 1 for everything military, and 1 for everything personal. I also, called all of our utility companies and scheduled cut off dates.

PCSing wasn't as horrible as people had made it out to be. We had wonderful movers and NOT one thing was broken even my fine Irish crystal wine glasses made it in one piece. I made sure they knew what was important, and I was extremely pleased with how the made the process go so smoothly. We did lose a box of miscellaneous kitchen crap, but I truthfully haven't missed any of it. It was kind of "junk drawer" stuff, nothing of importance. You will want to seperate what you want to take with you from what you want packed and moved with the movers. We put everything in a corner with DO NOT PACK/MOVE SIGNS ON IT or put it in the bathroom. I even had some things in boxes that they just taped down and added some extra padding to and shipped it on it's merry way. It's all in how you can get organized, and how efficient you are with time management. It's only as difficult and stressful as you make it, like I said we got orders with a report date of 14 days after the orders were cut. From MA to FL, it was smooth sailing because I was prepared. We arrived within the first week, found a house to rent the 2nd day in town, and our household goods were delivered 3 days later. . .

I can't stress enough to make an appointment with your TMO ASAP. They will brief you on what you need to do, if they don't a good enough job, feel free to PM me and I will help you find the specific answers you need.

Pack at least 2 weeks worth of clothing. Household goods take time to get there from what I hear, so I like to be prepared. Plus, I didn't want to worry about lugging laundry around and all the detergents/fabric softener.

They will NOT ship household cleaning products, or alcohol at least that is what our movers told us, and that was in our "What to do" paperwork. I donated all of our non-perishable food, and gave all of our perishable food to a friend.

If I would of had time, I would of had a quick garage sale to get rid of additional clutter before moving. It adds to the travel money. We were not required to keep gas or hotel receipts to get reimbursed for our travel voucher, but we did keep them just until the travel voucher hit our account. It's always a good idea to keep receipts. Also, if you have 2 vehicles, they will pay mileage for both vehicles, but will NOT pay for the Uhaul rental of a trailer or car dolly to tow the second vehicle. GAS killed us, but we were completely reimbursed, plus we got a per diem rate for all of us, and dislocation allowance.

Good luck.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Marie View Post
    COME ON PEOPLE! You guys can't tell me you don't know anything about it. 90% of you ladies have done this!

my advice- get a cup of coffee or a pop- sit down at your computer and search this website for threads pertaining to the exact same thing.

ALSO be more specific- asking such ageneral question will not get the most answers-

I for one ( on a message board) want to hear direct questions. " where can I find the info on setting up a move?" or who do I call ( branch specific) to find out how to do this?"

and yelling at us is NOT going to get the answers you want either.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Marie View Post
    who's his sponsor? his sponsor should be helping him and if that person isn't. did he ask anyone at work? or are you both at a total loss? hence the question.

and I gotta agree with Dawn. Holloring is NOT going to get you the answers.

and did you search through all the threads in this section of this forum and look at the subject lines? perhaps someone already asked your question shannon marie.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    To be honest, there isn't much you can do right now. Your sponser needs to take care of much of the information.

What we did is put everything we didn't want them to pack in the bathroom or an area and told them off limits. We have 2 weeks worth of clothes, some cooking things, safe with paperwork (i.e. marriage liscense, loan paperwork, copy of credit card statement, ect). We watched them likes hawks also. If you don't like how they pack things, make them do it over.

About a month out, start looking online to rental companies, newspapers, ect. Get everything ready for a move. We always look at apartments, jobs, where crime is in the city before we move.

Your not in housing, so you don't have to worry about that. Also, your sponsor will go to a smooth move seminar. Probly at builidng 500. He will find out what needs to be done.

After that...good luck. Also, don't need to be yelled at to get an answer.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. is so happy to have him HOME!!
    is so happy to have him HOME!!
    Blog Entries
    I hope the above girl helped you out on your questions. But, I agree, yelling isn't going to get you anywhere!
    Mommy to Gavin and Tristan
    Wife to Nick.
  9. Senior Member
    1. calm down everything will be okay
    2. the schedule move will be given to him icluding the when and where he is supposed to be.
    3.when you find out where your going you can research the housing area for that base and get numbers to contact to see what all has to be done. sometimes you dont have to do anything till you get there..

i wish you luck
  10. Banned
    Banned
    What base are you bound for? While you may be planning on base housing, there may well be a lengthy wait (depending on the base) so it would be wise to make contact with their housing office (you can find the website for pretty much any base with a quick google search and, from there, the number for their housing office) and inquire as to the estimated wait for your situation (rank, family size, pets or not, etc). That way, if the wait IS lengthy, you can be making alternate plans for interim housing. Also, most of the base websites will have an entire "welcome aboard/inbound personnel" section that will provide a lot of other useful information, phone numbers, etc.
    Your husband can inquire with his current command (is this a move from a duty station or from schooling to a first duty station?) as to the specifics, contact info for the local TMO office, etc.
    Are you planning to do a DITY move or have TMO do a full-service move?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast