Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: signing a lease

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

signing a lease

Advertisements
    DH and I already have a place, but I wasn't around when he signed the lease so my name isn't on it. They told him I need to come and add my name when I move. SO here's my question...
    Should I sign the lease as a co-lease or should I put my name as an approved tenet (kinda like you would for your children). I noticed both options and didn't know what would be better.
    I was just thinking if I don't sign the lease, and DH deploys again... that would give us the option of breaking the lease and me moving back home. right? Am I even allowed to do this?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    DH and I already have a place, but I wasn't around when he signed the lease so my name isn't on it. They told him I need to come and add my name when I move. SO here's my question...
    Should I sign the lease as a co-lease or should I put my name as an approved tenet (kinda like you would for your children). I noticed both options and didn't know what would be better.
    I was just thinking if I don't sign the lease, and DH deploys again... that would give us the option of breaking the lease and me moving back home. right? Am I even allowed to do this?
    depends on the contractual agreement. to my understanding since your married if your both on the lease, there is normally a clause (confirm that) that for military mandated orders, they let you break your lease) - if your on it, and your married, you can break it and most certainly if your not on it, (just listed as an approved tenant) he can break it (but confirm that clause) when he gets new orders. I also believe, but don't quote me that deployment orders of 6+ months (allows you to break the lease) if you want or need to, (i.e. put yourstuff in storage and move back home persay) I have never done that, but have heard of some who have.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Co-Leaser otherwise you won't be allowed to do anything. you can still break the lease if you are on it, as long as the clause allows that.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Normally every person over 18 must be in the lease and submit and application. The military clause would still cover you cause you are married.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    Co-Leaser otherwise you won't be allowed to do anything. you can still break the lease if you are on it, as long as the clause allows that.
    She will be allowed if she has Power of Attorney giving her permission. Our POA allows me to sign leases on behalf of DH and deal with any contracts, leases, real estate, etc... I was not on the lease before because my DH got the place while I was getting us ready to move. I opted to be on it this time around though since i was here to sign. I would go ahead as a co-leaser so you personally will have some rental history, but you do not have to if you have a POA.