Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing home of record?

1. Senior Member

changing home of record?

Advertisements
    Is it better to leave your liscense and vehicles registered in teh state you came from or to switch them to the new state? WE are in VA now and we pay high property taxes on our vehicles. Also my lisence expires in Dec. so do I renew it before we move to Louisiana or would it be better to register our vehicles there? I don't know if they have personal property taxes on their cars or not. What do people ususlaly do?

This is an odd question, but say we wanted to make our home of record Florida can we do that without living there or do we have to have lived there? They don't pay state taxes and my dad and mom live there and he was saying we should move our home of record to FL, but I said I didn't thinkwe could do that. Anyone know if we can?
    Trish & Hubby Home for R&R!! Dec. 2009
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

you can leave them in the state that you are a resident of or change them. With the military you have the choice. We have our expidition registered with VA but out truck in UT. DH has a VA licence, and I have kept my Australia one, I plan on getting a stateside one soo though.

3. Senior Member
    I am guessing you still pay the personal propety taxes on the expedition? That is what is got me thinking we should switch. for our 2 vehicles it's 1,000 a year.
    Trish & Hubby Home for R&R!! Dec. 2009
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We are originally from GA, live in NC and are moving to WA. Our vehicles are registered in GA. We use my parent's address and his HOR. As long as you keep your address updated with the tax comissioner and on your license, you should be able to renew your license online and your plates online. That's what we do.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    first you can never change your HOR-- what you want to do is change your state of residency-

as military spouses we are not included in the military non resident status if we work out side the home- once we do this we are required to change residency to that state and we are also required to pay state and local taxes and register you car in that state.

WA state says you do not have to get a state licence or registration as a member or spouse of an AD member- but when you move to GA GA law says you do- and since you are physically in the state of GA WA law is no longer valid. so you have to get everything changed.

we have moved alot in the last 8 yrs and I will tell you we have always changed our residency to the state we live in- we pay state and local taxes, vote locally and buy locally but most importatly we live locally- this is our home for 3-4 yrs I try to make it such by being a part of the community as much as I can.
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    We have never changed our state of residency. Honestly we don't want to pay state taxes if it is not necessary. It depends on the state as far as car registration. Most states have a military clause where you simply pay a flat fee to get the car registered. We are originally from texas, but we can't keep our cars registered there because they have emissions tests. so unless we take the cars once a year its easiest to simply get the car registered in the state we currently live in.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    first you can never change your HOR-- what you want to do is change your state of residency-

as military spouses we are not included in the military non resident status if we work out side the home- once we do this we are required to change residency to that state and we are also required to pay state and local taxes and register you car in that state.

WA state says you do not have to get a state licence or registration as a member or spouse of an AD member- but when you move to GA GA law says you do- and since you are physically in the state of GA WA law is no longer valid. so you have to get everything changed.

we have moved alot in the last 8 yrs and I will tell you we have always changed our residency to the state we live in- we pay state and local taxes, vote locally and buy locally but most importatly we live locally- this is our home for 3-4 yrs I try to make it such by being a part of the community as much as I can.

We keep my DH as an Ohio resident and I have to change as we move. You are not under the military stuff. Many wifes don't do it but doesn't make it legal. You don't technically "have too" if you are not working outside the home.

We find that if it is just my DH name, check to see what the state says on military registry? Here in MT, we are exempt from many taxings. We pay $22 a year for his trucks registartion and taxes.

Good luck.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    there is a new law going up to make it the same for Military spouses as it is for the MM, so we can have a permanent residency and be exempt from Paying state taxes and things like that.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

9. PACK YOUR BAGS!!!
    PACK YOUR BAGS!!!
    I guess I am just niave (sp) but we have moved from IN, to SC, to NY and getting ready to leave fro CT. I have never changed my license from IN to any of the states we have lived in. I work outside the home. DH and I have IN driver's licenses and my car is in SC and his in IN.
    You are worth taking on the world...

No More Ticker...HE IS HOME
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm hoping that law comes into effect. But until that times comes down, you are still expected to change residency.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast