Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Please Help!

1. Living our 2nd deployment...
    Living our 2nd deployment...

Please Help!

Advertisements
    I posted this in general but maybe I can get help here... I am moving soon and need all the help I can get. This is my first move from the mainland and 3 move ever.!!!

http://forum.militarysos.com/showthread.php?t=192774
  2. Banned
    Banned
    as for shipping you car- expect 2-8 weeks depending on what coast you are coming from-

furniture- I would look at doing a POD in your case- this you pack and they pick up and deliver- there are other co's beside PODs that do this and a quick ASK.com search will get lots of results-
    but money wise I would plan to look at 3-5 grand to get your stuff to HI from either coast. and will take 4-8 weeks to get to HI.

for rentals look at the local paper and craigslist- also DO NOT RENT sight unseen- make sure your DB goes to check them out before you sign anything.

if you are taking pets don't forget about the quarentine- it is expensive and long and if you only have 4 months will have to do the Dept of AG on island and IS 6 months long at that will all be out of pocket.
  3. Pass the Chocolate
    Pass the Chocolate
    Going to look at your other thread...
  4. Living our 2nd deployment...
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    as for shipping you car- expect 2-8 weeks depending on what coast you are coming from-

furniture- I would look at doing a POD in your case- this you pack and they pick up and deliver- there are other co's beside PODs that do this and a quick ASK.com search will get lots of results-
    but money wise I would plan to look at 3-5 grand to get your stuff to HI from either coast. and will take 4-8 weeks to get to HI.

for rentals look at the local paper and craigslist- also DO NOT RENT sight unseen- make sure your DB goes to check them out before you sign anything.

if you are taking pets don't forget about the quarentine- it is expensive and long and if you only have 4 months will have to do the Dept of AG on island and IS 6 months long at that will all be out of pocket.

DB won't be there when I get there... I am NOT shipping furniture... The only thing shipped after I leave will be extra clothes and little stuff. It could prob fit in one box. No animals... mine got new homes.. So you are telling me I should get a hotel and then look for a place??
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by *FCZsGirl* View Post
    DB won't be there when I get there... I am NOT shipping furniture... The only thing shipped after I leave will be extra clothes and little stuff. It could prob fit in one box. No animals... mine got new homes.. So you are telling me I should get a hotel and then look for a place??
    there are alot of SOSers there in HI-- if anything have one of them go look at a place for you-- but once you sign a lease and since you are not married you will not have any way out of it if it not someplace you want to stay-

you will have to stay someplace- where did you plan on staying until you could move in?
  6. Living our 2nd deployment...
    I don't have a place. That's what I was trying to figure out. Ideally I would have a place to stay but I don't KNOW many people out there. I met some of DB's friends when I was there, but don't know them enough to say, can I stay with you for a few days... Plus most of them are on the same ship, so they will be out too... Even if DB is back, he is still in a barracks so I couldn't stay with him. School doesn't have dorms, so I am pretty much winging it.

I didn't think of asking SOSers to look at a place for me. I haven't formed a bond with anyone there to even ask.

If I had to wait till I got there, I was going to budget for a hotel for a few days...although that is expensive enough as it is... I was hoping to try and have my car there before I get there so I can go and look for houses.

If I have to sell my car here, then within the first couple of days I will need a place to live and to buy a car.

I know this isn't going to be an easy move no matter what I do, I just want to make it as smooth as possible. The school is worth it, DB is there, I am not happy here, and I think it will be good for me once I get settled.
  7. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I can work the google on the internet machine!
    Quote Originally Posted by *FCZsGirl* View Post
    I don't have a place. That's what I was trying to figure out. Ideally I would have a place to stay but I don't KNOW many people out there. I met some of DB's friends when I was there, but don't know them enough to say, can I stay with you for a few days... Plus most of them are on the same ship, so they will be out too... Even if DB is back, he is still in a barracks so I couldn't stay with him. School doesn't have dorms, so I am pretty much winging it.

I didn't think of asking SOSers to look at a place for me. I haven't formed a bond with anyone there to even ask.

If I had to wait till I got there, I was going to budget for a hotel for a few days...although that is expensive enough as it is... I was hoping to try and have my car there before I get there so I can go and look for houses.

If I have to sell my car here, then within the first couple of days I will need a place to live and to buy a car.

I know this isn't going to be an easy move no matter what I do, I just want to make it as smooth as possible. The school is worth it, DB is there, I am not happy here, and I think it will be good for me once I get settled.
    I'll be here when you get here... The lemon lot(cars) on Hickam is a good place to look. Sweetie, there is a best western near the airport. Craigslist is another good look. If you need to you can get a bus pass for about a month to get you around to find some where to live... HTH.... Like I said I will be here depending on what time of the month, I should be on island the ship has a family cruise planned for thanksgiving weekend. But I should be here if you need anything you can pm me.
    Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.- Days of Thunder(Nicole Kidman)