Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question About Housing

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Question About Housing

Advertisements
    If two people are active duty, one is a father the other is a son and the son is married can they live in housing together and qualify for a three bedroom? I think I worded that correctly. Thanks in advance ladies
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I think they wouls be better off each getting a 2 bedroom. Is the father married? does the son have kids?

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykay View Post
    I think they wouls be better off each getting a 2 bedroom. Is the father married? does the son have kids?
    the father is not married and the son does not have kids
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I bet so Call the housing office and ask, just to be sure, but I don't see why not, seeing as active duty family members are allowed to live together if they want usually.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    I bet so Call the housing office and ask, just to be sure, but I don't see why not, seeing as active duty family members are allowed to live together if they want usually.
    I think I will do that. DH and FIL want to live together if they get stationed together (FIL travels all the time and doesn't like leaving his stuff unattended, and DH liked the idea of having someone living with me if he is out training or something).
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by KatReborn View Post
    If two people are active duty, one is a father the other is a son and the son is married can they live in housing together and qualify for a three bedroom? I think I worded that correctly. Thanks in advance ladies
    I'm not sure how that would work. I don't think that'd be allowed?!? I could be wrong, but I thought parents living with their child would have to show that the parent is there to help take care of the children or that the child is supporting the parent?!? Not just for convenience.....
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I'm not sure how that would work. I don't think that'd be allowed?!? I could be wrong, but I thought parents living with their child would have to show that the parent is there to help take care of the children or that the child is supporting the parent?!? Not just for convenience.....
    Both both people are active duty and qualify for housing on there own kwim
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I believe that to qualify for the extra bedroom the father would have to be declared a dependent, which is impossible if he's active duty.

HOWEVER-- if it's PPV, they may be able to get a 3-BR place with the son drawing BAH w/dep and the father drawing BAH single, and the rent payment would come from those two allowances. The rent payment might be covered by the son's BAH w/dep, and the father would be able to keep his BAH. Does the father have any dependents at all?

If this works out for you, I strongly suggest having some sort of payment coming from the father too, even if it's nominal.
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Both both people are active duty and qualify for housing on there own kwim

The father doesn't qualify for housing if he's single...
  10. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    I believe that to qualify for the extra bedroom the father would have to be declared a dependent, which is impossible if he's active duty.

HOWEVER-- if it's PPV, they may be able to get a 3-BR place with the son drawing BAH w/dep and the father drawing BAH single, and the rent payment would come from those two allowances. The rent payment might be covered by the son's BAH w/dep, and the father would be able to keep his BAH. Does the father have any dependents at all?

If this works out for you, I strongly suggest having some sort of payment coming from the father too, even if it's nominal.
    That was my understanding, too, when we looked into having MIL live with us when we lived in housing.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast