Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korea

1. Senior Member

Korea

Advertisements
    I don't know if Korea is considered relocation or deployment - sorry ladies if this is in the wrong place.
    I was wondering for anyone that is in Korea or has an SO there. What type of cellphone and webcam service do you use to communicate home with?
    My DF will be going end of August and we want to set it up before he goes.
    Is it better to wait til he gets there? Thanks.
  2. Hot of the press: I am voting for Senator Obama!
    Hot of the press: I am voting for Senator Obama!
    SKYP!!!
  3. Hot of the press: I am voting for Senator Obama!
    Hot of the press: I am voting for Senator Obama!
    Even though I don't get the opportunity to use it (as my DH is on a ship), I have heard nothing but good things!
  4. Senior Member

I have Vonage but I think all new service is blocked now in Korea. We had ours before June 07 so we are allowed to keep it. Where is he going to be stationed? I am in Yongsan which is in Seoul. I haven't used skype so I am not sure how that works. I have a cell phone here but I can't make long distance calls on it and our local LAN line is also blocked form long distance. I guess Korea has had past service people skipping town without paying their bills. We had to use calling cards and that can be a pain!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We are stationed here in Camp Casey. We have local internet, which is farely cheap. We also use prepaid cell phones. Its really not that bad, 400 mins for about 25 bucks. Mine seem to last me a while. He will more than likely have to get a phone when he gets here and he can get internet through the barracks I have been here since December and leaving soon. Chat at me if you have anymore questions
  6. Member
    Question for spouses that go to korea did you go on your own or where you on the orders. I'm new to this and just wondering?
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    DH is at Camp Casey and we talk on Skype. Its nice because if you both have webcams you can see each other.
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffswife418 View Post
    Question for spouses that go to korea did you go on your own or where you on the orders. I'm new to this and just wondering?
    I am command sponsored which means I am on my dh's orders for Korea. He is Navy also so they are a little more accomodating about that than the Army or Air Force but there are Army and Air Force families here CS. I also know some families here non-command sponsored (NCS) that are doing just fine.
  9. Senior Member
    It is relocation.
    For talking SKYPE all the way. www.skype.com (free to download and free to use)
  10. Armywife1218
    My husband was stationed at Camp hovey he was there for 6 months without me and we always called each other on his buddies Vonage phone, but you cant have them in korea anymore. We also always got on web cam. But when I went over there to live with him for 6 months we didnt have the Vonage phone. We had to get cell phone with pre-paid international mins. My husband was told that At&t you could use in korea so he got a cell phone before he went to korea and found out there he couldn't get a chip for the phone there. My husband said something the other day when he called At&t and was on hold it was saying you can use their cell phones over there now, but I dunno you will have to check into that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast