Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Spin off on housing

1. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Question Spin off on housing

Advertisements
    A lot of you mentioned that you own a home off base. That sounds good to me too, but dh is nervous about having to go somewhere else and then dealing with selling a house.

Your thoughts?

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It depends on how long you will be stationed where you're at. Also factor in the economy right now. If you do buy one you have to be prepared to go through the hassle of selling it when it's time to move, or renting it if you can't sell it. In some cases (like our friends) you may have to stay behind longer to sell the house while your husband moves on to his next command.

This is the reason we haven't purchased a house yet. I'm looking foward to being in one place for a reeeeally long time so we can get one next year!
  3. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
    It depends on how long you will be stationed where you're at. Also factor in the economy right now. If you do buy one you have to be prepared to go through the hassle of selling it when it's time to move, or renting it if you can't sell it. In some cases (like our friends) you may have to stay behind longer to sell the house while your husband moves on to his next command.
    Well i think we'll be here for quite a while. At least 5 years or probably more.

But with the economy, that's what made me nervous as well. I had a friend who got transfered and ended up paying two mortgages for over a year! I don't want to have to deal with that.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I honestly wouldn't purchase a house in Great Falls. They ask to much and the housing isn't selling that great. Many houses are on the market and it is hard to get rid of them.

If you are not planning on being on station at least 5 years, many times, you can be penilized or take it in the end with closing costs trying to move.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    it's one of the reasons we don't own a home right now.

I'm just not comfortable with it and have seen a few people get stuck at the old duty station because of it.

we'll deal.
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I dont think I will buy a house till he retires. Plus I want to build our own house anyway.
    I think selling it would be really hard
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by soon2bAFwife View Post
    I dont think I will buy a house till he retires. Plus I want to build our own house anyway.
    I think selling it would be really hard
    Also, you will loose that first time home owners rate. Plus, can't you only get the VA loan once? Correct me if I'm wrong though.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Senior Member
    We bought a house 9 yrs ago at one of our previous duty stations. It's what i'd call a starter home. I regret ever buying. Thankfully the longest we have ever paid the mortgage was 3 months before they found renters. Ppl also forget reg maintenance costs and frivolous charges you'll have to deal with. Also the house looks like crap compared to when we lived in it. Let's face it,ppl won't take care of your house like you would. Like dummies, we took out a 2nd mtg to consolidate bills[young and dumb,and didn't read the fine print] so we can't even look at selling it for at least 2more yrs.

Unless you are buying your final house[as in dream house, no more moves],or plan on moving back to the area, or your hubby will be getting out in a few yrs...I'd advise against it.
    Deployments don't last forever, they just feel like it

9. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    It depends on where you're at and for how long (I definately agree with that!)

My husband's Post is 45 minutes away - Base is 25. We bought our house in 2005 and whenever he's relocated we intend on renting it, actually. We would like to live here when he retires (really not too long from now)
    For us to rent all we have to do is sign up with a property rental company and have them deal with all the maintenance and complaints, etc. From long distance we can make all other decisions and at any time you can decide to sell it.
    BUT renting it would allow you to keep it without paying out of pocketfor it.

Now - anything can be sold in a pinch If you're willing to sell AT value or below value to get rid of it you can definately see it go quite quickly.

BUT - I would rent a house. You can look into adding in a lease-clause that frees you from an extra month's rent whenever you have to relocate.
  10. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    It depends on where you're at and for how long (I definately agree with that!)

My husband's Post is 45 minutes away - Base is 25. We bought our house in 2005 and whenever he's relocated we intend on renting it, actually. We would like to live here when he retires (really not too long from now)
    For us to rent all we have to do is sign up with a property rental company and have them deal with all the maintenance and complaints, etc. From long distance we can make all other decisions and at any time you can decide to sell it.
    BUT renting it would allow you to keep it without paying out of pocketfor it.

Now - anything can be sold in a pinch If you're willing to sell AT value or below value to get rid of it you can definately see it go quite quickly.

BUT - I would rent a house. You can look into adding in a lease-clause that frees you from an extra month's rent whenever you have to relocate.
    whew, that sounds complicated! i think i agree with your last part. dh and i are thinking about renting. only problem here is that there are a lot of places that are expensive but total crap. so we'll just have to see. we're in no hurry, so we got that going for us.

i guess i was just surprised by my last thread that had a lot of people saying "we own a home and love it" so i was thinking i'd get a few of their responses in this thread. apparently not.

thanks for your help ladies!