Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: moving near DH AIT location?

1. Senior Member

moving near DH AIT location?

Advertisements
    My hubby started his AIT this week at Ft. Gordon. His classes actually don't even start until next week and will last for 15 weeks and 4 days. I know the Army will not move myself and our daughters out there....but I'm seriously considering moving to Augusta, GA anyway. If I do decide to do this will I be able to have the BAH change for that area? I think we could get 100 or $200 more for that area.

I know I've heard before to just stay where you are while you SO is at AIT, but I just don't want to be here anymore. HOme is where the heart is, right. Well my heart is in Georgia. I have lived here in Arkansas my whole life, and the thought of moving to GA scraces me...but my DH will be able to get weekend passes starting in August most likely so he would be able to spend time with us every weekend, whereas if I stay here I might get to drive out there for a visit once a month...maybe if I'm lucky (it's an 11 hour drive). I think it will be worth it to see him every weekend, we have a 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 year old daughters, they need to be able to see their daddy as often as possible.

Thoughts...suggestions? Should I consider moving? I just don't know what to do.
    Thanks.

"I love you more than I can say, I can't even fathom the words" - DH
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I moved to be with DH while he was at AIT and I am SO GLAD I did. It's an out of pocket expense, but worth it. I got to see him every evening and all day every saturday, with only like two times he couldn't come home. They didn't give overnight passes for thanksgiving so none of the guys had time to fly home and back, so for that I was especially glad to be there! I was the only wife there so I had 20 something guys over for turkey dinner

After he gets out, they will charge you the difference to move you from there to the next duty location, but if it's cheaper to move you from there it won't cost you. Just be aware of that.

For example-our address when he enlisted was in MO, but I moved to San Antonio. It ended up being cheaper to move us from San An so we didn't have to pay anything. It's a mileage difference you would pay, a few hundred at most
  3. I love my Pickle
    I love my Pickle
    Blog Entries
    Well with kids... I'd say stay until he's out. I understand why you want to move there. But it'd be hard on the kids to move there for the time he's there, then move again somewhere else.
    But, if you do decide to move there, then good luck and I hope the move goes well

Have you asked him his opinion?
    Before I knew your name,
    Before I saw your chin and your nose,
    Before I counted your fingers and toes,
    I asked heaven for someone as wonderful as you,
    And every prayer and wish came true.
    I dreamed of you...

4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Personally I wouldn't if the military won't pay for it. So many things could go wrong and you could wind up with a bigger financial headache then it is worth. During school and BCT you get BAH based on your address so if you moved there you should get BAH based on that zip. If you get a lease make sure it has the military clause in there.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. Senior Member
    I forgot to mention, if I decide to move I'm not taking everything. I will want to find a furnished apartment and just take clothes, photos, toys, kitchen stuff..the basics. Then when we move to a PCS we can move all the stuff from here in Arkansas.

6. Banned
    Banned
    I'd suggest doing a road trip to see Daddy rather than moving to see him. You will be spending a lot of money for the move, setting up utilities and deposit, not to mention you can't get out of the lease if he isnt on it even with a military clause. I'm glad I didn't move to be with mine when he was at Huachuca.

I also understand that the military will not pay for you to PCS unless its from your home of record, which is where you lived when he first went to BCT, not where you live when he graduates AIT. SO expensive out of pocket!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by MIKOSWIFEY View Post
    I'd suggest doing a road trip to see Daddy rather than moving to see him. You will be spending a lot of money for the move, setting up utilities and deposit, not to mention you can't get out of the lease if he isnt on it even with a military clause. I'm glad I didn't move to be with mine when he was at Huachuca.

I also understand that the military will not pay for you to PCS unless its from your home of record, which is where you lived when he first went to BCT, not where you live when he graduates AIT. SO expensive out of pocket!
    You can get him on the lease of you have a POA. That's what I did, so military clause was in full effect.

They WILL move you from wherever you are. They will just charge you the mileage difference between there and where you originally lived.

Obviously it's a big decision and I'm not telling you that you should, I'm just saying...it was a good choice for us. And it's easily doable, if you have all the info you need first.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    You can get him on the lease of you have a POA. That's what I did, so military clause was in full effect.

They WILL move you from wherever you are. They will just charge you the mileage difference between there and where you originally lived.

Obviously it's a big decision and I'm not telling you that you should, I'm just saying...it was a good choice for us. And it's easily doable, if you have all the info you need first.
    what's a POA?
    thanks for your advice. as far as all the info..what all do you suggest i look into? do you know how i would go about changing the BAH from here to Georgia?

9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    POA is power of attorney something you should have already. ( its a must anytime he leaves for more then 10 seconds lol)

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

10. Banned
    Banned
    POA is Power of Attorney.

I think you just go in to the Finance Office on Gordon (I'm here in Augusta too ) and change your address on the paperwork.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast