Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving... but not a whole house full of furniture!!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Moving... but not a whole house full of furniture!!

Advertisements
    I need some suggestions/help/advice

I'm moving in Nov/Dec from the east coast to the west coast. I'm going to ship my car because this is NO WAY I am making that drive! Anyways, I'm wondering how do you move your personal belongings??? I'll have just my personal belongings... some wedding/shower presents... and maybe a bedroom set (but not sure at this time). I will not have massive amounts of furniture to move. Do I need a whole moving truck?? Is there a way to only pay for the amount of the truck you take up??? What do you think is the best thing to do???

Thanks.
  2. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    How much stuff do you have? ( i mean if you boxed it how much room would it take up? Call some moving companies and ask how they charge and how much it would cost to move from east to west. We have only ever TMO'd so I have no personal experience with DIY.. Personally though if i could pack in my car I would and get someone to drive with me.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

3. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    You can rent a small u-hall and drive it yourself.

Otherwise if you are wanting someone else to move you, contact moving companies and get a quote for the amount of boxes you will have to ship
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have no desire to drive out there by myself or even with someone. I can't imagine what gas is going to get up to... and then add food, hotels on top of that. My car is also at 83,000 miles as it is and I still have half the year left. I don't want to drive it cross country and then have it practically dead by the time I get out there. I'm willing to pay the extra money to ship the car. Guess I'll have to call moving companies and get prices.
  5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I'd drive....
  6. what is meant to be will always find it's way :)
    what is meant to be will always find it's way :)
    ohh geez ok i JUST did this.... i just moved from NC to San Diego... i had a 1bdrm apartment of stuff and not very much furniture (i sold alot before) I got a moving company for my stuff AND one for my car...i can answer any question you hve just go ahead and PM me!
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

honestly, it sounds like your best bet is to only take small items. with the price of gas, it's just not going to be worth it to ship only a bedroom set. shipping your car is gonna be WAAAAAAY pricey on it's own. when i moved from mi to seattle, i had a moving sale & sold as much as i could & donated the rest. i put what i could in my car and packed several large boxes and had them shipped to me via ups. that cost me around $250.
  8. Mmhmm.
    Mmhmm.
    Shipping cars are SO EXPENSIVE! i drove from grand Rapids, MI to Twentynine Palms, CA with my husband in 32 hours. the drive is fine as long as you'd stop and sleep. i know there's flooding now though, so i wonder if you could actually drive hahah
  9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. K View Post
    I have no desire to drive out there by myself or even with someone. I can't imagine what gas is going to get up to... and then add food, hotels on top of that. My car is also at 83,000 miles as it is and I still have half the year left. I don't want to drive it cross country and then have it practically dead by the time I get out there. I'm willing to pay the extra money to ship the car. Guess I'll have to call moving companies and get prices.
    we drove Dh's burban with over 100K miles on it from WA to Florida, then to texas ( all within a few months) and it was still doing fine when we sold it. ( we only sold it for selfish reasons) I also drove my altima which had well over 100K miles from Texas to WA then for 2 more years after that. your car will hold up fine.

If you added everything in it would probably be way cheaper to drive then pay to ship your car belongings plus plane ticket and all that.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    we drove Dh's burban with over 100K miles on it from WA to Florida, then to texas ( all within a few months) and it was still doing fine when we sold it. ( we only sold it for selfish reasons) I also drove my altima which had well over 100K miles from Texas to WA then for 2 more years after that. your car will hold up fine.

If you added everything in it would probably be way cheaper to drive then pay to ship your car belongings plus plane ticket and all that.
    i understand it's going to be more expensive to not drive... but i really really don't want to drive. it's like a 3 day car trip!!! and i don't know if i'd be able to get anyone to go with me. i'd rather pay the extra money for it to be a little simpler and less painful!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast