Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping cars?

1. Senior Member

Shipping cars?

Advertisements
    We are looking at PCSing from SD to VA near the end of next year. If we plan on flying, will they ship two cars or will they only ship one? Silly question but I have no idea. Thanks!
  2. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    They only ship one. You either have to pay to ship the other or drive it over.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think they will only ship 1 car.
  4. Senior Member
    Ok, that's what I was thinking!! Thanks ladies!
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I wanted to double check to make sure I was correct before posting:

according to the JFTR the military will only pay to ship a car conus to conus if the member is physically unable to drive or the military gives orders to PCS with very limited travel time.

this is the actual wording from the JFTR:

U5415 POV TRANSPORTATION WITHIN CONUS INCIDENT TO A PCS WHEN THE MEMBER IS UNABLE TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE

An eligible member ordered on a PCS between CONUS PDSs may be authorized transportation of one POV from the old CONUS PDS to new CONUS PDS when:

1. The member is physically unable to drive, or

2. There is insufficient time (see par. U5160) for the member to drive and report to the new PDS as ordered.

NOTE: A dependent’s inability to drive does not satisfy this criterion.

this is the JFTR on shipping a second vehicle conus to conus PDS...

U5417 POV TRANSPORTATION WITHIN CONUS INCIDENT TO A PCS WHEN POV TRANSPORTATION IS ADVANTAGEOUS AND COST-EFFECTIVE TO THE GOVERNMENT

A. General

1. An eligible member, who has dependents who are also relocating incident to the PCS, ordered on a PCS between CONUS PDSs may have POV transportation authorized for one POV from the old CONUS PDS to the new CONUS PDS when it is advantageous and cost-effective to the Government and provided that the:

a. Member and/or eligible dependent(s) own more than one POV to be relocated to the new PDS;

b. Member and dependents then travel at one time in one POC;

c. Cost of shipment and commercial transportation of the POV to be shipped does not exceed the cost of MALT plus per diem for driving two POCs to the new PDS. See example below in par. U5417-D.; and

*d. Member is financially responsible for all excess costs/additional expenses associated with POV transportation. NOTE: If the cost of transporting the POV exceeds the reimbursement limitation (see par. U5417-D) the member is financially responsible for the cost difference to enable the POV to be transported.

2. MALT and cost reimbursement are separately authorized for driving the second vehicle.

the dependants CAN fly- but the cost of the flight will only be paid for up to the amount of per diem.

but you will either have to pay to ship both or have your DH drive one and you pay to ship the second.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Um if its not a homeport change or you going overseas, they will not ship a car, and I think its just one then...We had to pay to ship cars from CA to GA and RI to WA
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  7. Cat
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by CAmom4721 View Post
    We are looking at PCSing from SD to VA near the end of next year. If we plan on flying, will they ship two cars or will they only ship one? Silly question but I have no idea. Thanks!
    Hey Laura I didnt know you guys were PCSing to VA. Hopefully I will get to meet you since we will be in VA.

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    Hey Laura I didnt know you guys were PCSing to VA. Hopefully I will get to meet you since we will be in VA.
    Yeah, we won't be there until sometime near the end of 2009, but dh has finally decided what he wants to do when he's up for orders in Feb and that's where it is taking us. That would be so great, I would love to meet ya!!

And it looks like we'll be driving, if we can afford it, and getting rid of one car before we go. Planning planning.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Yeah, we won't be there until sometime near the end of 2009, but dh has finally decided what he wants to do when he's up for orders in Feb and that's where it is taking us. That would be so great, I would love to meet ya!!

And it looks like we'll be driving, if we can afford it, and getting rid of one car before we go. Planning planning.

as for driving-- this is what you will be entitled to-

per diem:
    109 per day for AD member
    81.75 per day for you and dependants over 12
    54.00 per day for each child under 12

MALT:
    19 cents a mile ( per authorised miles)

DLA: this is not travel money but moving money to help deflect the costs of moving into a new home- even if it is housing.

as for the shipping the military will reimburse part of the shipping costs:

see link below-

http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/per...aqpov2pds.html
  10. Cat
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Well we will definitely still be in VA and I hope to stay in VA permanently after DH gets out and retires.

We had to drive both cars when we moved down here to TX and we will be driving both of them back because its just to dang expensive to have one of our cars shipped. I know the Navy will not pay for it either. Both of us are capable of driving and I seriously doubt its cost effective for the Navy. In other words its probably cheaper for them to cover our mileage than to pay for airfare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast