Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving damages?

1. Senior Member

Moving damages?

Advertisements
    We just got all of our stuff in from the shipment. Some of our furniture was scratched up, but it didn't bother me too much because it's not very visible. But we were unpacking our dishes and glass items and found a lot broken!! We have an entire matching set of dishes and glasses and a few were in pieces. What I'm most upset about though was this ceramic tray that I got a few years ago as a gift. I had never found anything like it.

I know we have so many days to report anything broken or damaged, but how does that work? Do we send pictures or just the form? Do they reimburse us for the full amount that we paid or is just whatever they estimate?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Take pictures of everything and put it with your paperwork. Also keep the broken stuff set aside if it is high value. Look around on the internet for quotes on what is broken for comparable replacement pieces. Take your time going through everything so you can make sure you don't miss something. You don't want to find something in two months after you sent it in and cannot claim it.
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Contact TMO, but I know that you'll need the inventory sheets from the moving company. When we've had problems in the past, dh has taken care of all of the claims stuff (and of course he just left for a 2 week TDY, so he's no help), but I know that for our furniture, we were reimbursed for the repair cost/ estimate and for stuff that was broken we were given depreciated value. I believe that replacement cost is an option that has to be purchased prior to the move. You may also be able to claim it through your renters... not 100% sure on that one though. Good luck!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Senior Member
    I heard they don't do depriation value anymore... At least according to DH. Did you get supplemental movers insurance? I heard its always a good day since its such a pain to make claims through the military... Sorry so much got ruined... makes me think twice about buying new dishes before we PCS.
  5. Senior Member
    Full Replacement Value insurance is no longer an additional cost.

Take lots of pictures and be very thorough. We had a HUGE claim when we moved here and it went very smoothly, but I credit that to the tons of pictures and evidence we had of the damage (even down to pictures of the over-stuffed crates as they opened the door of them).
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    I heard they don't do depriation value anymore... At least according to DH. Did you get supplemental movers insurance? I heard its always a good day since its such a pain to make claims through the military... Sorry so much got ruined... makes me think twice about buying new dishes before we PCS.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaR View Post
    Full Replacement Value insurance is no longer an additional cost.

Take lots of pictures and be very thorough. We had a HUGE claim when we moved here and it went very smoothly, but I credit that to the tons of pictures and evidence we had of the damage (even down to pictures of the over-stuffed crates as they opened the door of them).
    Good info to know... like I said, dh is TDY and he handles all of this stuff!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Senior Member
    No advice, since my DH has handled our claims, but wanted to say good luck. They broke our couch when we moved and we are still waiting for the claim to be paid.
    "What's so good about good-bye? It is good to be reminded that life is brief, at best, with no dress rehearsals, and the seasons we are privileged to share together are even more fleeting. Good-bye is good if it teaches us to cherish the life and breath, strength and sound mind, and the moments we are allowed to walk side by side with a friend. Good-bye is good if, in that difficult moment, we stand still long enough to give thanks to God for the lessons we've learned together, the love given, and the love received, recognizing that these are gifts from the hand of God." ~Marshele Carter Waddell
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by navywifeplus3 View Post
    No advice, since my DH has handled our claims, but wanted to say good luck. They broke our couch when we moved and we are still waiting for the claim to be paid.
    That's why I'm not sure if it's even worth it. I don't have photos of the crates, or loading and unloading. I only have photos of the items themselves. Is it worth all the paperwork and stress?
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We had some broken dishes and pans when we moved to this base. A friend of ours was here two years and still wasn't paid. to us, the cost didn't out weight the effort to fight it. Also, here it was 90 to place a claim.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    We had some broken dishes and pans when we moved to this base. A friend of ours was here two years and still wasn't paid. to us, the cost didn't out weight the effort to fight it. Also, here it was 90 to place a claim.
    Are you saying it cost you money to place a claim? That should never occur. You are not charged to place a claim.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast