Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Where to start?

1. Senior Member

Where to start?

Advertisements
    I have a few questions..

1. DH is currently in training and will graduate Aug. 1 We don't know where we will be yet, but I am guessing we will know within a month or so.. that will leave me 3-4 weeks to find a place. How hard is it to find off base housing? How hard is it to get on base housing? Anyone with 4 kids have decent/big enough on base housing? Will they automatically put us on a list for base housing? DH is an E-6 will this help or hurt us in getting on base housing?

2. in reguards to moving.. how hard is it to do a Dity move? I am very anal about my stuff and the thought of someone else moving it just drives me bonkers.. We have many items we will have to move anyway (dh has a large wrokshop full of expensive tools and a $10,000 tool box that is like 1,000lbs alone.. not kidding. ) and we have a large fish tank and I am told they don't move anything w/ liquid in it? so we most likely would have to rent a uhaul anyway so why not just rent a large one and totally move ourselves? Is this a crazy idea?

3. is there anything I can be doing to prepare for hte move now or is most all of this stuff that DH will have to take are of on his end?

We/he is not new to the military because he was in the guard for 12 years, but he is new to active duty and so I am clueless.
    Trish & Hubby Home for R&R!! Dec. 2009
  2. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    He'll probably find out where you're going 3-4 weeks before he graduates. Sometimes he'll be given 30 days to report after graduating, so if he has enough leave, he can use that.
    Houses really depend on the area. Base housing might have a wait. E-6 probably wouldn't have any effect on housing (once you hit E-7 you qualify for senior enlisted). You will have to put yourself on the list for housing. They might make your kids of the same gender share a room, depending on what they have.

DITY moves aren't difficult, theres alot of paperwork involved.. most of the money will be out of your pocket first- then you'll be reimbursed. You'll have a set weight limit that they'll pay for
    So pretty much you'll rent a truck, get it weighed empty, fill it with your stuff, get it reweighed & go on your merry way
    It's just a matter of moving everything into the truck yourself, finding a safe place to store it over night, filling it up a gazillion times, making sure you have it back by the due date, etc. Don't go with UHaul - they're notorious for breaking down!
    NOW there is a thing called a partial DITY. The military will come in & pack you up & move certain things & you can move what ever else you want. I don't think they'll reimburse you for a rental truck that way (I might be wrong though)
    but with gas prices the way they are... you'll have to weigh your pros & cons

I hope this helps you alittle! good luck with your move when it comes!

3. Senior Member
    Thanks for the reply. It was helpful. I guess our first thing would be to wait till se know where we are going.. if it's close then maybe the dity move is smart.. if it's really far away then maybe just having them move us this first time would be best.

Now another question.. if we get stationed overseas how does that work? Can you bring a car? Do you always live in base then? This is so scary..
    Trish & Hubby Home for R&R!! Dec. 2009
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

In reguards to moving stuff, I find it a lot easier to just let the military do it especially concidering you are preggo and already have 3 kids. With your fish tank, you will have to empty it to move it anyway even if you did do a dity move. For short moves, dity moves are great, but across the country I would just leave it to the military also if anything happens to your stuff, if the military moves your stuff, they are responsible. If you move overseas, you can only take a certain amount of weight with you, so if you have a house full of stuff, you will have to get rid of a lot of it or put it in storage, including cars. Cars at overseas bases are very cheap (like BMW's for $5000 or less) also a lot of countries drive on the otherside of the car and road. With overseas PCS's, a lot of the bases have a furniture loan system so that you can borrow what ever you need in the way of furniture, also they will supply fridge, washing machine and dryer so you will not have to take any big electrical stuff.

5. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    what SandyKay said

if you want to take your car with you. I think they'll ship one car for you. I don't think you have to live on base, it's probably cheaper to do that though.