Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What Next?

1. Proud Army Wife and Momma !
    Proud Army Wife and Momma !

What Next?

Advertisements
    Okay, We finally got written orders, and we are clueless!!! We can't get any info from the SGTs. they just tell us to call our new duty station. So here's a list of questions any info is GREATLY appreciated!

1. How do I go about getting ADVANCED TLA (money for the move)

2. Does he HAVE to take leave to drive us down to Texas?

3. How do I find our closest transportation office?

4. How many days will they pay for Temporary housing?

5. How many days will they pay for lodging on the move (we have 3 kids under 3?

6. How does the "movers" work (what do I have to do)?

I'm sure I'll think of more but thats all for now thanks!
    -Joni

2. Senior Member
    1. How do I go about getting ADVANCED TLA (money for the move) Your DH now needs to fill out his paperwork and give it to the Yoman, it's TLE by the way.

2. Does he HAVE to take leave to drive us down to Texas?If he is not stationed with you then yes, but if he is he will be given travel time that will not come out of his leave if you are coming from one station to the other as a family.

3. How do I find our closest transportation office?Your DH will have to handle this as well. Usually your base should have the office there.

4. How many days will they pay for Temporary housing? TLE will be advanced to you at a fairly set rate. Usually it's 10 days, but I think you have to check in and be waiting.

5. How many days will they pay for lodging on the move (we have 3 kids under 3? They will give you how many travel days they claim it will take, usually it's 350 miles per day. I.E. 1999 miles will be 3 travel days.

6. How does the "movers" work (what do I have to do)? Again,your DH will have to set this up. The movers will come and pack EVERYTHING seriously, even your trash if it's in the garbage can. I usually take things off the walls and make a DO NOT PACK room that they are no to pack up for our stuff that we are taking.

This is COAST GUARD related....so it may be different, but DH says the rules are all the same. If you want information on your move search PCSSMARTMOVE on Google it will take you to a website that will help.
  3. Proud Army Wife and Momma !
    I'm sorry I should have been more clear, I am in Kentucky, our home state, and he is Aberdeen, Maryland finishing up AIT he is coming home for hometown recruiting and then taking us with him to Texas.

What paperwork? He hasn't been given any. Where can he get the paperwork from? What is a Yoman?

Thanks
    -Joni

4. Senior Member
    He won't be given the paperwork it's pre-PCS paperwork, he gets it online. A Yoeman is like a payroll type person (they may not be called Yoemans in the Army). They are the ones that do pay, DEERS, advances etc. Your DH should know who they are. Quite honestly, there is not a whole lot you really do for a PCS, your DH hast to handle the majority on base or wherever he is stationed at. If he is at AIT, they have people that will walk him through the process.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    your DH will have to handle most everything from his end-

you do not want advance TLE-- this is a reimbursement and varies by location and if you get 10 days and only use 4 you will have to pay it back-

you will get 1 day of per diem per person per authorised travel day- since you are at the HOR- it wil be based on your location to the first duty station- and will be on his orders.

Chelle is correct that it is 1 day per 350 miles- this is very important- if you are given per diem for 5 days but only use 3 you will have to pay it back--

you will get per diem for each authorised dependant- member gets 109 per day, you get 75%, and each of your kids get 50%. for each day

you will also get 19 cents a mile to drive your POV

you will also get 1800 dollars for DLA-- there is some confusion with this- and some will tell you you do not get it-- but as long as you are married and are PCSING with him then you will get it.

you can also ask to do a partial dity- this is a reimbursement for bringing stuff with you enroute- and can be a nice chuck of change.

HTHs
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you do not want advance TLE-- this is a reimbursement and varies by location and if you get 10 days and only use 4 you will have to pay it back-

Chelle is correct that it is 1 day per 350 miles- this is very important- if you are given per diem for 5 days but only use 3 you will have to pay it back--
    Thanks Dawn for adding all the other stuff!!!! I always forget that stupid pay back thing and not wanting to get the advanced TLE.
  7. Proud Army Wife and Momma !
    Okay Thanks!! advanced DLA is what I meant, sorry, I'm still not good at all this army stuff. Is there any way of getting that in advance? We've got the money for the move, but I don't want something to happen on the way down and be without money.
    -Joni

8. Senior Member
    He needs to talk to the finance office. There will be one on the base he's at. They can put in the request for advanced DLA and explain all the forms and allowances he gets for the rest of it. In the Navy it's called PSD but I'm pretty sure it's called something else in the Army. He will also want to talk to the Transportation Office (May be TO, TMO, etc.) who can explain the "movers" side of it.

If his sgt isn't helping him, and he can't find this information, then have him talk to the First Sergeant. He/she will certainly be able to help. I had an Army friend TDY at our old base for a school and his point of contact was his First Sergeant.

Good luck!
  9. Proud Army Wife and Momma !
    Quote Originally Posted by petsparkle View Post
    He needs to talk to the finance office. There will be one on the base he's at. They can put in the request for advanced DLA and explain all the forms and allowances he gets for the rest of it. In the Navy it's called PSD but I'm pretty sure it's called something else in the Army. He will also want to talk to the Transportation Office (May be TO, TMO, etc.) who can explain the "movers" side of it.

If his sgt isn't helping him, and he can't find this information, then have him talk to the First Sergeant. He/she will certainly be able to help. I had an Army friend TDY at our old base for a school and his point of contact was his First Sergeant.

Good luck!
    He finally did get a little info from his Leutenant, lol. No one else wanted to talk. The SGT that finally gave him his orders said " here it is now get out of my face before I smoke you". But I was able to schedule an appt. with our local transportation office after going through heck to get the number, but they were very understanding and gave me some info too.
    Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!!!!
    -Joni